Need help sizing OC1 for big guy

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hechoendetroit

Need help sizing OC1 for big guy

Post by hechoendetroit »

This is x-posted at boatertalk:
http://www.boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/1607967
I am posting it here at the suggestion of a couple people at BT:

I am looking at buying a solo WW canoe to paddle class III-IV. I'd like to find a used one, fully outfitting for <$600 (probably an older boat off of craiglist). I'm a complete novice at open boating.
I'm also fat @ 275lbs and 5'11". I'm working on it....

It would be a bonus if it was possible to buy a solo+tandem boat and convert it to tandem once I get down to 200lbs (maybe a Probe 14???). Do I need a boat as big as the Probe 14 for just solo?

I'd like to get some comments on what boats might work for me.

Thanks in advance!!!
hechoendetroit

a followup post

Post by hechoendetroit »

I also posted this over at BT:

I have been scanning the local classifieds and there are:
1. dagger caper
2. probe 14
3. blue hole sunburst II
4. blue hole OCA (probably a bit on the big side for just me?)

I have searched low and high for a dagger caption and Esquif Vertige X (they both look pretty sexy), with no luck.

I'm leaning towards the probe 14, due to its rocker, but I cant find rocker specs on the other boats, so who knows...

Hopefully it is more maneuverable, dry(er), side-surfs better, cruises faster, and is comfier than the other boats that I found(funny eh?)
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

There is a Dagger Encore in the for sale section of this board. It is priced right and is a great boat for a large paddler. I have never heard of one being made into a tandem boat though. For that I would go with either a Caption or an ME.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

I paddled a Caper for years, solo and tandem. It was my first WW boat and I loved it! I'd say go for it, especially if it's already outfitted for solo and tandem.

Can't comment on any of the others you list.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I'd second the Encore recomendation, or a Whitesell Piranha if you can find one. A Caption may also work for you.
eckilson
c

Post by eckilson »

I'm not sure it matters what boat you buy to get started. If you get hooked, you'll upgrade eventually anyway. I got into paddling a couple of years ago at about your size (5'10", 260) and bought a Dagger Impulse - OK for a beginner boat. I bought an Encore last year – much more fun, definitely recommend it. I wouldn't worry about finding something that you might be able to paddle tandem in the future. Find a boat that you’ll have fun paddling solo now, and see what happens.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I have to agree.
1 boat turns into 7 real quickly.
dance for rain
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

The Mad River ME got me into the sport and excellerated me above my beginner counrterparts. and even tho I have purchased a Nitro, you will have to pry the ME away from my cold dead hands. um... knees.

Me = 240 LBs 6 foot even plus an unpin Kit , Lunch (including small camp stove and Full change of cold weather clothing. Did not feel over loaded.(except when having to portageonly once...too much wood)
Proud Yankee