Shoulder Pains

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

pdown2
C Guru

Shoulder Pains

Post by pdown2 »

So I went out on the river today and during a simple and easy onside bow ruder I put a little to much weight on my paddle and BAM! I felt my shoulder slide out and then do some kind of grind and then, thank God, POP! right back in. It doesn't feel that bad now, wonders of Dogfish self medication and ice, but it doesn't feel that great either.

Anyone out there know any physical therapy tips to get everything back to normal and more importantly help prevent this in the future. This is about the 4th time its happen in the past few years.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Was this your upper arm that partially dislocated? Try to discipline yourself to keep your upper hand as low as is consistent with not catching your paddle on the bottom of the river. (Catching your paddle can also screw up your shoulder.)

The stressed ligaments will tend to shorten and heal, but it sounds like, if you have a recurrence of such partial dislocations, you would profit from surgery to tighten things up.
vzap
C Boater

shoulder pain

Post by vzap »

Try experimenting with a shorter paddle. It's quicker to get to your off-side and allows more "shock absorber" travel in your arm/shoulder therefore lessening the chance of shoulder injury from the unexpected rock or other bottom contact. nitro vinny
Zap Paddles