Whitesell Descender

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

MR

Whitesell Descender

Post by MR »

Does anyone have any experience or info with the Descender? I'm looking to buy my first whitewater solo boat and one of these is up for sale near me for $500.

I'm looking for something that is going to have decent stability because I'm still relatively new to whitewater, but also a boat that I can grow into for the next little while.

Any input is appreciated!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Hi, MR. The Whitesell Descender is an all-around good boat. It's a bit big compared to the trend in open canoes, but is great for running big water and you can take it creakin', if that's your thing. What it is not is a rodeo boat; however it can still pop huge enders. Typically, Whitesell owners tend to keep their boats a long time and the boats get a lot of wear in them--a buddy of mine has had his for close to 20 years and keeps patchin' the hull. Can you see what the boat looks like in person? You want to see the condition the hull is in , plus the outfitting. If it looks pretty worn, you may be able to get the price down.

Always happy to throw my $0.02 in to stimulate the economy.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

And if you wan't it you better snatch it up quick cause if Tom here's about it he will prolly grab it to put in his fleet. I believe he has two back ups now...
Amiga!!
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

I dont dislike it, good for river running, dry, will satisfy the beginners and up to expert paddlers(didn't Mr Whitesell run the Niagara gorge with this boat 8) ? ). Good for solo tripping also.

But I find it too wide. Water seems far away when used to smaller boats. Also the chins give it a progressive stability that I don't like, but this is personnal, other paddlers might appreciate these rounded edges. I don't like the perception saddle, I perfer straps, but again this is mi liking.

If it's in decent shape and the price is right go for it.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Mr. Deadlegs posted a shot that I believe is of a Descender with Nolan at the helm in another thread - this is from the Cheoah :

oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Post by oc1paddlr »

nolan's boats are a page out of history. i heard from dickie, who worked for nolan, that the desender is his most sought after design. might be a good snag if it's still there
paddlr
red boat ready
Bill M
C Guru

Descender

Post by Bill M »

I know someone who would be very interested. It is a boat that everyone doesn't like but the ones that do swear by it. If you don't get it please post.
Bill
smac
c

Post by smac »

It tracks great and handles big water due to the round chine. Waves
just roll under it. To get it to turn I believe it is meant to be put on
its side and that is the rocker. It is very wide at the center other-
wise..