opinions on detonator

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dennisstream
c

opinions on detonator

Post by dennisstream »

Looking for thoughts on the Esquif Detonator -- stability, rolling, surfing, etc.. I paddle a Zephyr now but need a second boat for family member. Zephyr is great but maybe not tough enough for creekier stuff. I tried a Taureau but too radical for me, and I am probably not a good enough paddler for a Zoom.
Jimmyj
c

re: Detonator

Post by Jimmyj »

I have had one for about 3 yrs and really like it but it is very slow. Great for surfing, stability is great, rolling is OK. Secondary stability is amazing. I just bought a Spark though due to it being so slow.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Got a Detonator for creeking; seems to be predictable, stable, fairly dry, almost as nimble as a Zoom. It front surfs very well; not quite as good on a side surf as a Zoom. Boofs nicely too. It accelerates well;not much of a glide on the flat though,but I got it for steep stuff, not flat stuff.
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

Simply love mine 8)

Once you use to to initial stability it rocks ! Secondary stability is awsome, love the way it behaves when you punch big holes (goes right up and stays dry).

Good surf boat, yes it's slow but compared to the small plastic boats(Quake, spanish fly...) it has warp speed.

Double chins do wear down faster then normal, if you intend to run bony water with it will degrade fast.

Part of a flotilla of canoe and chosing it for the appropriate outing mine has lasted 6 seasons now and is still in decent chape !

Excellent intermediate to expert white water canoe in my opinion.

Go for it ! :)
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

This boat will do it all from steep creeks to the big water runs.Exceptional surf machine forward ,backward,side and 360`s Only ones I know that need speed are the racers.Very stable platform for just about any river.