C1 Slalom Goons... need some advise

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

C1 Slalom Goons... need some advise

Post by Craig Smerda »

So I was asked to jump in a 4M race boat this past Saturday to do a fore-run for the people competing in age group nationals... I hadn't been in a race boat in about 6-7 years. The start of the run went alright and I think my speed and lines were decent... messed up coming out of an up... had to loop back... flipped and rolled... continued on with the gates and yelled to the competitors "I'm just a playboater... please forgive me!!!" :lol: Anyways... I actually kind of enjoyed it and after a little thought I'm considering looking at, trying and possibly picking up a used NEWER generation shorter slalom racey C1. I'm tipping the scales a bit more than I was when I was in my prime (5-10 165ish now) and at the little looking I did at some of the boats at the race this weekend I noticed the sidewalls and flare seemed higher and more volume friendly than the old race boats and I really liked the look of the platforms I saw. So... what's out there these days that are good, reasonably priced used, and with a heavy enough lay-up for me not to be fixing it after everytime I used it? I have a tendancy to abuse boats and equiptment although I'm sure I wouldn't be using a composite boat in the same manner I throttle on my playboat.

Talk to me! I'm not going racing... just considering paddling really fast now and then. :wink:

(Also... we are going to be hosting the J.O.'s here in Wausau in a few weeks and I hope to find someone willing to let me try one... any phat kids coming to Wausau with a C1 they wouldn't mind letting me try???) (We are also going to be having a Juniors World Cup event here in 2010... cool huh?)
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Hey Craig,

I have a Vajda Lizard that you're welcome to try out. It's already in Wausau, and I'm joining it tomorrow. Although I don't know that I would classify myself as a "phat kid" at 6' 145 lbs, the boat is supposedly made for people in the 154-176 lbs weight range (I find it fits me fine though). It's not for sale, but you're welcome to use it some.

Nate
Louie

My son

Post by Louie »

has a butt load of those race boats you should talk to him.
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Re: C1 Slalom Goons... need some advise

Post by knu2xs »

Craig, first off, you did just fine with demo's. You knew what you were doing. Watching your paddling style in both boats, I think you would like the Lizard. They do come in sizes. The large would most likely work for you, but the XL would be better. I've only paddled a large a couple of times, and at ~163 I am on the upper end for it.

Just for reference, if you are interested, I was paddling a Galasport Makao. Jennifer was paddling the smaller cut Makao and Matt was in a Galasport Loco. This was the same boat Mark was paddling for his runs on the race days.

Good luck in your search. If you figure out what you are looking for, coming to World Series in October the first weekend in Maryland would be a great place to pick up a boat since many of the Europeans will be over here. They typically will ship a nice shiny boat over here and dump it before returning home after the race to not have to ship it back. Just think, you could pick up Tony Estanguet's boat. Talk about some karma!
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

Craig,

I'll keep my eye out around here for something.

Alden
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: C1 Slalom Goons... need some advise

Post by Craig Smerda »

knu2xs wrote:
thanks Joel... hope to see you here again.

love the "TAZ" not the KAZ :lol:
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: boatin

Post by Craig Smerda »

Alden wrote:Craig,

I'll keep my eye out around here for something.

Alden
Thanks Admiral
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Nate wrote:Hey Craig,

I have a Vajda Lizard that you're welcome to try out. It's already in Wausau, and I'm joining it tomorrow. Although I don't know that I would classify myself as a "phat kid" at 6' 145 lbs, the boat is supposedly made for people in the 154-176 lbs weight range (I find it fits me fine though). It's not for sale, but you're welcome to use it some.

Nate

I'll see you next week... any weird canoes you want to try out?
I own one of each model.
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Craig,

I thought your demo run looked good. Now that I hear it was in a borrowed boat and is something you do not do a lot of, I am impressed! Look around for me next at Wausau. I will be there all week supervising practices and doing other JO related things. I have my Loco with me which you are more than welcomed to try out. My son Casey Beall will be racing in the JO's. I have him working some C1 on the sly and he is looking pretty good with it though he is primarily K1. Also, got him in a C2 with another Jr. should be interresting.

Tom