Mentor session #2...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Mentor session #2...

Post by Sir Adam »

Wow.

I hope someone else appears to try the Mentor out soon...or perhaps takes it for a spin at Palmerfest:)

What I learned:
1) Truely effortless, controlled cartwheels
2) rolls very easily...i found easier than the Oxygen, Maven, or Acrobat. I have some theories as to why, but I'm keeping them to myself for the moment until I play some more
3) A NEW MOVE! (to me anyway). You start out still, or sitting on your stern (or bow) station without moving (easy to do). No forward or other momentum. I slight body twitch...and you're cartwheeling. Kind of a step up from Irish Whips (C1 carthwheels with no paddle..but initiated with forward momentum or other influence). If this has a name...let me know...really cool to have that much control out of the box...but that was the point of designing the boat after all
4) boat angle for forward speed makes a HUGE difference. Bow should be just barely out of the water, and if you drive your offside edge against the water correction strokes are not really needed (yes, that is one reason for the straight sides by the paddler...acts as a 'rudder' if you will, on each side, to help the boat go straight. Same thing for the straight lines on the bow and stern...)

I'll be VERY curious to get it on a wave and see how it surfs...it was not designed as a solely destination mystery move boat...and the hull is soooo sweet.
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I can't wait for Cquirt! Anyone got a time machine that I can borrow?
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

Sorry Mike, my time machine is in the shop... I'm dropping it off in a few weeks. nyuck nyuck nyuck ;)

Thanks for the update Adam, it certainly looked like a sweet build when I saw it in the garage, can't wait to see it in the water!