Repairing a Taureau

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dhumphrys
c

Repairing a Taureau

Post by dhumphrys »

Hello All,

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some ideas/thoughts on repairing my Taureau. The damages seen here were compliments of the airline well traveling to Costa Rica this winter. I am still working on a settlement with them but would like to get the boat ready for the spring. Any suggestions would be great. As well does anyone know if the plastic in the Taureau can be welded?

Cheer
Dave

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4 ... =502984606
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

what sort of plastic is it? (exact material name, is it a thermoplast, elastomere, duroplast....)
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
bigspencer07
Pain Boater

...best of luck!

Post by bigspencer07 »

*edit: Best of luck with the patching & sealing...
Last edited by bigspencer07 on Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

uuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh... i'm at a loss for words on that one... :o

(((how the heck did all of those scratches get on top of the deck?)))
dhumphrys
c

Post by dhumphrys »

As for the scratches they came with the boat when it was purchased used. The drain hole in the front was added by the airline. What you can not see is the crack in the hull.

dave
insolence
CBoats Addict

Post by insolence »

Now I discovered the link to the photo--as fas as the plastic is concerned, I could tell more when I know the material (I'll figure this out later)......
but in general, maybe it is possible to add a sort of cap over the hole (You know the black plastic bonnets/protection caps on the ends of some kayaks/C1? ). This can be laminated of fiberglass, as soon as you don't bump into rocks too often) You fix it with screws and caulk it with silikone. All material should be available at any do-it-yourself toolshop....
I know this would be only provisional ( and laminated fiberglass is not very flexible, compared to many plastics), but if you want to get it ready to ride it soon, it could work. You also can make a cap out of some flexible plastic (but I don't know how or where to get this) and fix it in the same way described before.

I'm just afraid, with such a big damage, you have to ask the maufacturer for a repair.....
it's gettin hot
I MAKE THE WATER BURN
purple orange flames
blaze where I put my paddle
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

Wow... impressive. I'd contact Esquif. Even if they don't have a good repair solution, they may be able to officially declare it totaled which might help you get a more favorable settlement from the airline. Good luck.

Slov
Louie

I have welded a couple of Teaurea

Post by Louie »

They weld very well. I was just going to pull out a couple of dents but while i was heatin the boat I noticed that the plastic begain to get that wet look that indicates it is near welding tempature I didn't havve any plastic welding rod handy because I hadn't planned on doin any welding so I just fused the plactic and it held very well.