Zoom width

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Kelvin
C Guru

Zoom width

Post by Kelvin »

Hi folks,
Any chance of a few Zoom owners out there taking a couple of measurements for me please? My boat has wooden trim and I think it may of been pulled in a bit. Max width 26 3/4''. 22'' at the centre of the gunnels. (centre of the Royalex.) I've already pushed it out an inch with two extra thwarts, (one keeps my saddle in place, the other for my bulkhead.) Esquif say 28''. I personally don't think this boat would benefit from a narrower profile as it's already pretty edgy with a flat rocker. I paddle technical 3+/4 and find this boat does NOT turn on a dime! I feel it could do with a tad more rocker if anything.
I would appreciate any feedback on this,
Cheers,
Kelvin.
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
craig
CBoats Addict

Zoom measurements

Post by craig »

I just took a few measurements, my Zoom is factory outfitted with no adjustments so far.It came with 2 thwarts each 28.5 inches from bow and stern. The width is 21.5 at these points. At the center;just in front of the pry pockets,23 at the uppermost point,28inches just below at the widest point of the flare. Hope this helps
Doug McKnight
C Boater

Hi, I've been in my Zoom for 4 seasons now

Post by Doug McKnight »

I bought it used but don't think its been modified. Measuring the widest interior of the hull I get 27.5", so plus the thickness of the royalex that comes pretty close to 28". Mine carves on a dime and spines on a dime. Are you used to having a boat with a flat bottom? Doug
Jim Lyon
c

Zoom measurements

Post by Jim Lyon »

I just checked my Zoom which is a 2005 model with plastic gunnels and a standard Esquif set up. I get the same measurements as Craig. I get 23 inches at the gunnels and the widest part of the flair measures 28 inches. I think the boat turns real well and that is comparing it to my Esquif Spark. The hard chines and narrow width make the Zoom much more responsive than the Spark. The short length and weight of the Zoom make it much slower and harder to accelerate compared to the Spark. Two very different boats. The Zoom is more fun but you must pay attention to every move. The Spark is a very forgiving boat compared to the Zoom, in my opinion.

Jim
wetnobby

Post by wetnobby »

Hi Kelvin,
I have not seen your boat for a long time now and you may have changed things since then....
As i remember you were sat way to far forwards, I know you bought the boat like that and to put it back to the standard seating position would mean a total refit of the bulkhead etc....but it may be worth it!!

Chris
Kelvin
C Guru

Post by Kelvin »

Cheers folks,
Maybe your right Chris, if I trim a bit further back it may loosen up the front a little, (it's not eddy turns where it seems to struggle, but changing direction in the current) I have to give it negative edge to move the bow.
Ok, so where's the back of your saddles folks!
I cannot tell where mine was in relation to the fitted one as I've done a fair amount of cutting and gluing!
I'm 5'8'' 70kg.
I promise not to send you out to your garages again!
Thanks,
Kelvin.[/img]
http://www.sweet-skills.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

I took a tape across the air bag untill i bumped the plastic bow cover, and it's at 35 inches.... :D and on mine the front thwart has been moved back to 33 1/4 inches, off the front deck, that gave me the 26 inches across width?..... they told me just pitch' it on it's side and ride it!... so i did! :wink:
craig
CBoats Addict

zoom saddle location

Post by craig »

As I put in my previous post my zoom is factory outfitted. The back of the saddle,(it is shaped like an h)is 64 inches from the bow. This measurement is to where your butt would go, not the rear of the foam. The knee pads are 48 inches (to the center of them) from the bow. The boat seems to handle fine,although I'd like a little more room for my feet. I'm 6' tall with long legs