2008 Armada Thread

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

2008 Armada Thread

Post by sbroam »

Let's get the ball rolling. The calendar is filling up fast...
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

What are the release dates this year?

As well as the dates of the Single Blade Symposium?

from those, the Derby / Cheat fest, and Mother's day I'll put up a poll as usual....
Keep the C!
Adam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The Date for Palmer Fest / Singel Blade Symposium 2008
is May 16 - 18.

http://www.rapidmedia.com/palmer_fest/p ... t_2007.php

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I've been checking on a fairly regular basis as to the 2008 release dates. However, so far no luck on the Corps posting them. Anyone have pull can get a peak at their plans? I'm assuming, but please confirm, C-quirt will be run Friday prior to the Armada and that the usual educational side trips will be requested. What are the levels of interest with other rivers, PS Composites, The ASCI site, Blacklund Paddles, Fox's Pizza, etc.

Last year Mike W and I (okay mostly Mike) posted a lot of the scheduled events on the cboats calendar. But we had folks send them in, provide links to them or posted them. I think Mike could be talked into reposting that info... if I was willing to help like last year ( :wink: ) ....and folks provided updates. So boaters... what are the events in you area, when and where is the contact info.

Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I've been checking the Corps site daily since mid december. As of last night the Corps had not posted the dates. I don't have the link on the work computer, so I'll post it here tonight so others can check too. Once the release dates are posted we should put up a poll for folks to vote on dates like we did last year.

With the interest & new designs Cquirt is definitely in order. I've heard that you can sink as ASCI, so I think that would be a great destination for Friday. That would give everyone, cquirt & surface something to do. I don't know the logistics, but I'm thinking ASCI prior to a PS Composites visit. That way we can try boats, then go order one :P

Once Ed sends me his super-duper-all-encompasing race schedule I'll get it on the C-Boats calendar. I'll also post that I have it & e-mail it to all who are interested.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Here is the link, but no 2008 data :
http://www.nab-wc.usace.army.mil/northBranch.html

Is this delayed because of water level issues? I didn't think it was as dry up that way?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

PAC,

as far as what to do on c-squirt friday, I enjoyed the visits at PS Composites as well as at Jim Snyder's shop, but visiting Keith Backlunds shop on Sunday on the drive back was definitely great, too. And yes, ASCI would be worth seeing, too!

Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Do we want to consider alternative locations to the NBP? Would the Lower Yough be two much for the beginner/intermediate paddlers? I've only done the loop and thought it was about the same as the Ocoee. The NBP has always made me think "a deeper Nantahala". The sooner we can get a date (or dates) out there, the better my chances of making it....
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

The problem with the lower Yough is, that if the level is similar to what it was last year (~5, I believe), then it is definitely guite a bit bigger and pushier than the NBP and may well be too much for some beginner/intermediates. Last year we ran the Loop on Friday morning and we had several swimmers, people who then in turn had absolutely no probelm running the NBP on Saturday.

Just my 2 cents.

huge
C Boater

NBP

Post by huge »

As one of the Yawk swim team members I think that it was a bit high at 5' for the beginner/intermediate paddler and the stray idiot cquirting. I would love to paddle it again at 5' as long as PAC brings the Fink for me.
huge.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I, too, think we should stick to the NB of the Potomac for Saturday...or something similar (I'm not sure if the levels would be conducive or not at that time of the year, but I paddled one summer with J. NOT e and crew coming down in to Harpers Ferry...easy, and nice ledges to play at.)

Friday, on the other hand, I would really like to go to ASCI (unless the weekend is better for them), and leave where we go up to Jimi and PS...with the idea of going to a park and sink spot that's in that day. I can't wait to C Jim Gross's work of art in person...and hopefully watch him sink it too! Should be a good year for lots of folks to try out Cquirts, should they want to. I'll be bringing a few different boats to try out, with two, possibly three, for sale (one Maven, one or two Mentors).

I like keeping Sunday as a free for all day, too.
Keep the C!
Adam
Riverscout
C Boater

North Branch/Bloomington Dates on outfitter site

Post by Riverscout »

River and Trail Outfitters has 2008 release dates posted on their website. http://www.rivertrail.com/NorthBranch.html

I have checked the official site from the Army Corp of Engineers and it still list 2007 so I cannot confim the accuracy of these dates.
The first two wekends listed were also mentioned on the Monocacy Canoe Club Paddle Prattle, as they were looking for volunteer trip leaders. The dates never seemed to be confirmed there either.

I'm looking forward to joining the Armada again this year.

Pete
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Sir Adam wrote: with two, possibly three, for sale (one Maven, one or two Mentors).
Hmm... 8) ... thinking here ... :) ... how much would a Mentor approximately go for???

mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

Anyone know if the Shaggy cats will be coming again this year?
i r a p|r@t3

yeaaaaaaaarrrrggg
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

As far as I know from Martin Du Toit, that's their plan!