Blade Size for Kids Paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jimmyj
c

Blade Size for Kids Paddle

Post by Jimmyj »

Greetings

I need a paddle for my 8yr old and 10yr old sons C.C. Splash and was wondering how to determine the proper blade size. I was probably going to modify an Aqua Bound paddle but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Depends how much you want to spend. Galasport makes nice paddles with smaller blades (referred to as "midi" as opposed to "maxi")--but you're getting rather pricey there for 8-10 year olds. Check with Mitchell and Echo too, maybe they have kids paddles.

Nate
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

I've made two for my nephews...as I needed then fast....made them overnight on a Thursday for a Saturday trip

the first one I cut down a real-cheap feather brand... the classic long narrow cheapie... the blade size was just right for a kid... i simply cut to length... and used part of the left over shaft for a tee grip...by notchinbg out,expoxing, and screwing with couple stainless steel screws on top

the second one... used a carlysle (spell?) raft style paddle... and cut the blade down using a half template... simply traced one side, with a marker... flipped over and marked other side, to keep/insure symmetry...free handed the cut on a band saw... cleaned up and rounded with a belt sander... cut the shaft with hack saw... replaced tee-grip-- good two go

both worked good...in fact they don't want to give up and trade back and forth...I handed each kid one, and they've just stayed with it...even tried to make'em trade... and they don't want to

(I do know there are kids paddles, my old junior-senior slalom partner had one)
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Hi Jimmy,

Echo does make a smaller blade version of the persuit for small women and kids.

our daughter (9) is using a cut shaft lightning and it is way heavy. Got her an H2O paddle for Christmas. It is a regular blade size but they are really light. I'll let you know how she finds moving it through the water if you'd like.
good to see another kid out in a solo
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

I bought my 8 yr old son a Bending Branches (I think) kid's all wood paddle 42" with a T handle at REI about $40.00. He thinks it's Awesome. He never liked that Mohawk paddle that I cut down for him. I'll post the blade size when I get home.
dance for rain
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Do a river salvage - pick up some old rafting company beaters. Then start to experiment by cutting the shaft down in lenght till you get a couple that work for them.
As for the blade side - raft paddles with some time on the belt sanders work great!
This way the cost is low - you can provide them with back ups (just in case there is soe dropping action) and its cheap.
Remember they will be growing out of them fairly quickly and once you get a good idea as to what works then you can go from there!
Just be careful - my boy now just goes and grabs "his" (was my) classic Viking.
Oh well at least he lets me paddle with him. ;-)
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Pierce's (my son) paddle is a Bending Branches. The model is the "Twig"; cute huh? It is a nice, well-made Tgrip with a rockgard (TM) tip. lenght-42" blade size- 14" x 5 1/2" $40.00
dance for rain
Jimmyj
c

Thanks

Post by Jimmyj »

Thank you all for the info. It's appreciated and very helpful!