Ain't Louie Fest update

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

The girls were jumping up and down last night when we booked the cabin......very excited..... they'd rather boat with you folks than almost anything right now. Ainslie the kayaker got a solid pool roll last week and we are awaiting her new sidekick.......stoked she is!!!!

anyways, we got a couple people not sure yet and if you had a campground in mind it might just get them commiting to the 17 hour drive. Wendy had a nice suggstion...is there a preference Louie and Carol? I know, I'm doing that "mamma hurding" thing again :lol:
putting together my "Tennesse Lite" list for paddlig with my girls and when y'all go throwing yourselves off the cumberland and smokies in precarious beautiful little streams.
anyways if there are things I should know about or rivers I should add let me know. Thanks all, Tennessee is a blast.

Big South fork of theCumberland Leatherwood Ford to lake Cumberland
Clear Fork River
Conasauga River
I heard Hiwassee is a little too tame
middle tellico
Doe River Hampton to Watauga River...although it mentions "wide"

Upper Daddy's creek although I sure want to know where Antioch Bridge is and get out there
Obed ...Adams to Emory if water is low? or is this too much
Emory...Gobey Bridge to Oakville
and of course a day over on the Nantahala
maybe even Earls Ford section of the Chatooga?

just getting excited and chatty
Cheers
Gail
MikeOC1
C Guru

Post by MikeOC1 »

thats a good list, but I would take the hiwassee over the BSF below leatherwood ford, that section is very long and flat, only two rapids are very very far apart from each other(miles apart). I always still have fun on the hiwassee. my 2c
pmp
CBoats Addict

gettin' organized at ALF

Post by pmp »

The term ain't louiefest and organized aren't in the same dictionnary. Having experienced last years morning sessions of "where we all goin' today?" I think a group campground/with cabins would be great. I can't picture it working in a restaurant.
ps. I imagine all the other northerners are gonna be copying my skanoe for pre trip training.
later dudes
Paul
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Sweetwater KOA is open and the camping cabins (4 adults) 390 for 7 nights 32 minutes or 22 miles to Lenoir....closer to the Tellico.
Tellico plains isn't open and Townsend KOA is rediculously expencive....

I wouldn't worry about organizing any further than a campground where you might find a few more boaters.....besides, water dictates and you won't know that tillthe day before....and there is charm in deciding the morning of.....
Anyways just thought I'd throw the bait out there and see if some one bit so i can pass the info along.
Cheers
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Louie will Sweetwater "fog" be likely in MArch

Post by Wendy »

The paper plant can send out alot of unpleasant pollution or as locals might say "the smell of money". Is it bad in winter? I grew up in Chattanooga, but haven't lived there in over 30 years so not sure.
craig
CBoats Addict

ALF Camping ?

Post by craig »

Hi All, Just looking forward to Tenn. in March. Hoping to find a campground near Lenoir City, where I'd find some other c-boaters. Maybe Soaring Eagle as Louie suggested? Other options folks? Lets hear it.
Craig
Crunchy
C Boater

ALF camping

Post by Crunchy »

Terry and I are staying at the Townsend KOA.
We are heading over on Monday.
We just did a trip down the Tellico. It is a beautiful run. If we get some rain, maybe we'll have a chance to run it again.
C
Jon
C Guru

Expectations are High - WOOHOO!

Post by Jon »

After a great but too short time last year, Dian & I (the Canadian Tandem) have booked the Comfort Inn in Lenoir for AIF-08. The people who were there from Canada last year have done a great selling job up here and there appears to be somewhere between 20 and 30 Canajuns preparing to sample your Southern Hospitality. Because of Louie's dedication, perserverance and organizational abilities, this seems to have assumed a life of it's own.

Is there a 'central' location where we will be gathering to arrange shuttles, meet, hangout, store boats, leave cars?

Will there be a draw this year, or is it too soon to plan all this?

Jon
craig
CBoats Addict

just hoping the rain keeps falling

Post by craig »

not too much in the way of commitments in the last week or so. my plan is to arrive saturday sometime and probably hotel it for a couple days or so, in or near Lenoir city. Its good to be in between the plateau and the smokies. I will be hoping to find a good mix of class 2- 4 options for the picking. Crunchy can you p.m. your email or cell # so we can hook up? PFR
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

Derek, Neil, and I are booked into a cabin in Wears Valley

Post by cmnypny »

Close to Gail, Steward, Al, and Liz, and the kids of course.

We had extra room in our place.

We is now full :D
Last edited by cmnypny on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blog: http://cmnypny.blogspot.com/
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cmnypny/sets/
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)
Crunchy
C Boater

ALF details

Post by Crunchy »

We're staying at the Sweetwater KOA arriving on Monday.
Chris@PhotoWNC.com
cell 828-674-0985
home 828-687-7991
:D
Louie

I'm out of the country for the next

Post by Louie »

three weeks.

Dick and Doopey will field all question form the US

Carol and Andrew will handle Canada

I'll be doing Mexico, Central, and South America.

Europe and Asais is on thier own but Falk know a lot of the answers.

Dick ( AKA Jeff Richards) 865 250 8946
865 986 5613
Doopey (Dan Wilds) 865 388 7246
865 986 6889
Taniwha
C Guru

Post by Taniwha »

I'm happy to be the Euro and Asia :wink: liaison for the Ain't Louie Fest 08 although this year I can't come myself. Unfortunately.

I'd really like to paddle with all of you guys and gals again and see the progress of the kids in their Splashes. I had such a good time last year.

So, to all of you European and Asian cboaters out there interested in joining the ALF 08: pm me either in German or English and I'll be happy to help. I could tell you about all the Dos and Don'ts while paddling in Tennessee, but keep some secrets for myself.

The ALF is all about adventure too!
"A canoe trip?" he said. "There ain't nothing to go down there for."
"Because it's there," Lewis said.

(James Dickey, Deliverance)
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Gail, The section of Clear Creek from

Post by ChrisKelly »

Jett Bridge to Lily Bridge is abour 2 1/2 miles long. It has 6 or 7 nice class II rapids and ends with an easy class III that is avoidable if you chose. The shuttle takes 15 minutes or less. The water is clear. it is great for newer paddlers.

Big South Fork has a long complex shuttle, is further away and has fewer fun rapids.

The Hiawassee is fun and easy but has whitwater.

I think just about everyone likes Jett to Lily for new boaters.

Chris kelly
washer

March 8-16

Post by washer »

Just found out about your gathering. I'm a double blader from toronto planning on being in that area for those dates with my two teenage sons. it would be great to hook up with some people that know the rivers there and make some new friends. Is this where the details will be posted.
David