Pyrog c-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Bernie
C Guru

Pyrog c-1

Post by Bernie »

I would like beta on the Pyrog. This is my first time back in a slalom boat since the Batmax and Fanatic. It has been awhile and I would like to hear your comments.
It is frigid outside and I have not had it in the water.
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

if I am not mistaken, that is the boat used to make the Loco. Robin cut the ends off, and poof. if it is indeed that boat, then it's great. if it's not, I have no blimey idea.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

bearboater wrote:if I am not mistaken, that is the boat used to make the Loco. Robin cut the ends off, and poof. if it is indeed that boat, then it's great. if it's not, I have no blimey idea.
cheers
-isaac
From what I gathered from Robin Bell's site, he drew from several slalom c-1 designs, but drew heavily on the Shubak. Here is a link I used to get that info. (just in case you ever wanted to know how the Loco came about, btw):
http://www.robinbell.canoe.org.au/defau ... Page=10309

I haven't found anthing on the Pyrog, yet. Just remember that a lot of those European boats built through the '90's were designed off the Fanatic, to a degree.

KNeal

P.S. It's been cold here the past two days and we have been waiting the whole time for our new HVAC system to get installed and operating (picked a premium time to get THAT done). That's why I'm spending the time to look this stuff up. Why, it's even been cold outside! :wink: :lol:
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

I was just thinking about that, and I realized the same thing...
I can't remember what I got caught on mentally. maybe the general lack of newer 4 m slalom designs... but i did see footy of a chinese paddler in a pyrog... i have no idea where I was going. but yeah it was the shuback, sorry bernie, I have no idea what your boat is like...
:)
sometimes i question my cenility.
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

The Pyrog is a Galasport design by Patrice Estanguet, allegedly from 1999. Here's the link to the C-boats page on it: http://cboats.net/c_db/view.php?name=Pyrog&boat_id=173

This boat would have preceded both the Jungle and the Shubak. Unfortunately, although I've seen one before, I've never paddled it, so I can't comment personally on the design.

John
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

OK, John, comment impersonally, then. :D I actually have a Pyrog on long-term loan (well, they don't know this). It is considered a classic, and it was successful in its day (then again, so were many of the relics whom we call "cboats.net users," and their time has certainly passed! :wink: ) What I remember is that the Pyrog has harder chines than my other boats, which makes for nice carving on waves (some call this "slicing and/or dicing" -- I call it "lateral motion undertaken by a single occupant in a decked craft"). Other than that, nothing jumps out about the Pyrog, except that it is a French design. So good luck with that in the "red" states. And it is a regular-old boat, after all, so any paddling of it calls out for the first rule of boating to be heeded, right? "Don't die."

Alden
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I've heard there are actually several versions of the Pyrog, some with major differences...but no one has ever been able to tell me what they are, other than that potentially different Pyrog's were based on different boats!

I'm hoping someone clears this (and other issues I"m sure are in the C Museum) up eventually for all of us.
Keep the C!
Adam