Prelude....paddling?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Randy Dodson
C Guru

Prelude....paddling?

Post by Randy Dodson »

Does the Prelude ever get any easier or do you ever get used to it's lack of initial stability? I wanna look like Dooley or Bathtubboy in this boat but I've noticed that even they seem to spend as much time bracing as paddling.

I'm longing to paddle some fairly steep stuff with it but I'm still trying to master it in class II+. Pools between rapids seem to be the hardest place to padde this boat. Feels like I'm gonna flip at any moment.

5'10" 205 lbs.
Parrot Head Paddler
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

How high is your saddle?
dance for rain
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Keep at it. You will most likely get used to it. I did relatively quickly.
Lowering the saddle an inch or so from stock helps initially (I did that initially, now I am back to almost stock to improve reach, not really feeling less stable in it). Do you have a transfer tube in your saddle to allow easy water passage from side to side? That is a key part in making the boat more stable, IMHO.

Andas far as the bracing is concerned Dooley and Bathtubboy are running some BIG drops in that boat. Bracing to stay upright is the name of the game there IMHO, no matter what boat you're in!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

My saddle is 9" high. And I won't be lowering it any. I can't stand that gunnel in the armpit feeling and it takes away from my forward stroke form.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, I just need to spend less time in my ultrastable Aftershock. I do have 3 transfer tubes in the saddle but the boat feels like a beach ball even when there is no water in the boat.

thanks for the advice, I'll stick with it.
Parrot Head Paddler
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Some have modified theirs by flattening the hull - a search here should bring that up. I think that is supposed to get it closer to how Frankie designed it and take some of the beach ball (lack of initial stability) feel out.
beach
Pain Boater

Post by beach »

Curious... I paddled the Prelude this past season and was surprised at the good initial stability. Much more stable than the Ocoee that I've been paddling for 10 years.

The Prelude seat was cut to 8" and rolls marginally well for me... I added a lap belt which improves its rolling- still trying to improve/reposition the lap belt though. My Ocoee has a pedestal at 8.25", I plan to increase the Prelude bulkhead saddle to 9" to improve reach and comfort. I weigh 165 lbs., at 5' 10".

The Prelude sidesurfs much better than the Ocoee, yet the Ocoee wins in the carving arena.

I do not run the stuff Dooley and Bathtubboy do, perhaps some...day.

Tanks,

Kevin
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Better initial stabilityalso when bottom flattened

Post by Wendy »

This has been discussed previously. My Savage version of the PRelude had excellent initial stability- it was flat in the bottom. Search posts for methods to achieve this with Pyranah version.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

Dennis Jones, (Kanur) my neighbor to the north sent me pics and instructions on flattening the hull when I first bought the boat but I chose not to do it at this time. I was impatient and wanted to get to paddling as soon as possible plus I was a little scared that I'd end up screwing up the hull.

I'm sure it might feel a little bit more stable after I get down to about 170 or 180 lbs.

I've spent some time in an Ocoee and thought it had way more initial stability and maybe a tad less secondary.

I'm pretty sold on the Prelude, I just gotta get used to it. It also seems like it behaves quite well when you're in the meat of the rapid doin your thing but once you're in the pools, you can't relax.
Parrot Head Paddler
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

Randy Dodson wrote:Dennis Jones, (Kanur) my neighbor to the north sent me pics and instructions on flattening the hull when I first bought the boat but I chose not to do it at this time. I was impatient and wanted to get to paddling as soon as possible plus I was a little scared that I'd end up screwing up the hull.

I'm sure it might feel a little bit more stable after I get down to about 170 or 180 lbs.

I've spent some time in an Ocoee and thought it had way more initial stability and maybe a tad less secondary.

I'm pretty sold on the Prelude, I just gotta get used to it. It also seems like it behaves quite well when you're in the meat of the rapid doin your thing but once you're in the pools, you can't relax.
I say, boy, get you some the "S" word that shall remain unspoken, I say, the "S" word that shall remain unspoken!! Just kidding, Randy! See you on Saturday to fix up the Caption?
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

the "S" word that shall remain unspoken.....that's what Mike Byrum said last Monday.

what time do you want me up at your place Saturday?
Parrot Head Paddler
Roger
C Guru

Post by Roger »

9-10 a.m.? Get it done early and maybe go get a low water run on the Cadron, if you can get a pass from the warden? Me, I don't need no stinking pass! :wink: Kim is snowed under with school stuff.
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Holy pucker Buttman

Post by jim gross »

9" my gads thats tall. 6 to 7" for this old man. Hopped in a buddys occoee once with a tall saddle and felt like i was sittin in a tree. I just hate bein too high and tippy. JIM
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

the saddle in my S.Fly and both Skeeters are 9.5" and they're great... the height makes'em more responsive and your leverage may be better
beereddy
C Guru

Prelude....paddling?

Post by beereddy »

Lets be honest, Preludes best point is bombproof plastic. Stability and speed is horrible, so you can use it only for steep creeking.
IMHO
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Nah, with a bit of practice, it's great for big water and anything else for that matter, too 8) !

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau