Potential new sub-forum idea - Introductory / demoequipment

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Potential new sub-forum idea - Introductory / demoequipment

Post by Sir Adam »

In the realm of trying to figure out how to get more folks involved, one of the hurdles appears to be lack of being able to find cheap / free gear.

So, what would folks think about a new forum here at CBoats dedicated to gear available for beginners - either to loan out, or free (I've passed on 3 boats in the past 12 months, and not only has it freed up more space, it's nice to know someone will be using boats there were just sitting there, and in two cases they are "kids"...which is a good feeling).

My initial thought is having each person post what they have, their location, and what they offer. Mine might read like this:

---------------------------------------
(Subject) - Boats for loan, informal instruction available, southern Adirondack / Saratoga Springs area

(message)
"Numerous boats to try out, both old and new, none for sale currently. Some can be loaned out.

Willing to try and teach you how to roll and paddle as time allows, as well as take on introductory trips on the Hudson, Schroon, or Sacandaga."

--------------------------------------------------

Please let me know your thoughts - is this a good idea? Or will yet another sub-forum (like video's, etc..) just make things more cluttered.

As I've said in the past, we may control the code, but this is YOUR forum - let me know what you think!
Keep the C!
Adam
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

I think a sub-forum (or additional forum tab to the index) is a really good idea. You can recall I sent you an email about the prototype plastic Groove that I would like to see made available to the cboating community (Bill Canoes/Swims has it now :wink: ). Having boats available for loaning and also to bring to armadas and other cboating events has always been a draw over the years. Offering informal instructions definitely has its pluses on this site--how many times has someone asked for help on their role? Yep, I'm all for this idea! I'll think more and post later (as opposed to the reverse, which I've done in the past :oops: ).

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Aaron M
C Boater

Post by Aaron M »

it sounds like a great idea, and would really help more people get into whitewater cboating. I got my perception saddle(still in the packaging) for free from a Henry in NJ, and it helped me get better control of the canoe since i didnt have thigh straps before. I'm sure that a forum where people can ask for help getting started in whitewater would get more people out on the rivers.
I saw a duck skirt a hole and then eddy out. He could have easily flown. Makes you wonder, why'd he do that?
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

It's funny; I recently told a kayaker, after offering to let him try
one of my boats, that "It's a cult, and we're recruiting."
dance for rain
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Ditto. The southern demo and intro center is open for business. We've got boats, now if we could just find some water...
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

sbroam wrote:Ditto. The southern demo and intro center is open for business. We've got boats, now if we could just find some water...
So is the slightly more northern sattelite dealer :lol:
Bring it on
Amiga!!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Maven to Marathon & a few in between. I even have 2 non-composite boats :o I've got water too :D As of 09:45 it's 2,260cfs & rising. That makes it a little easier to get on the wave 8)
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Swiss demo center also open :)

Post by NZMatt »

Guiding and stupid comments also available

Not much more to say really....
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....