What's up with Mohawk Canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

SandyO
Pain Boater

What's up with Mohawk Canoe

Post by SandyO »

Does anyone know the story on Mohawk Canoes? I have been trying to contact them and they won't answer e-mail and the web site is no longer active? Are they out of business?
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Last time I talked with Stu was a few months ago - he was trying to figure out how to be a sponsor of this site. He seemed super-busy, and I suspect things have not changed. Unfortunately, I don't have a real update for you other than that!

Adam
TommyC1
C Guru

Post by TommyC1 »

This was on P-net about a week ago.
http://www.paddling.net/message/showThr ... tid=699895

"Thought I'd pass along the info I received today. Due to some technical issues with their website Mohawks's phone number is not viewable and an incorrect email is linked.

They are working at getting the website problems sorted out as soon as they're able. I could tell it's as frustrating for them as it is for their customers (in this case, me).

On the plus side, the rumors of royalex production problems may be overstated.

Orders may still be placed, and info received by phone - (877) 226 - 6329 "
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

That information is correct. I spoke with Greg today at that phone number (877 266-6329). He hopes that the web site will be back up and running later today, but that is in the hands of the domain host, obviously. Mohawk Canoes is alive and well, however, which I was relieved to hear, since they have some great designs in Royalex (the Viper 11 and 12, the Shaman, or even the Scamp, if you are in the market for a Whitesell Pirhana, since Nolan isn't making them anymore).
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Post by kx250guy »

Sad to say, heres the story on Mohawk. The two owner's got into a knockdown drag out with the cops ending up being called ,assult charges etc. etc.. The story now is they are locked in a offer /counter-offer ,via lawyers, being made trying to buy each other out. Till its settled I heard production is way down. Man I hated to hear about it.
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Are you kidding me? Seriously?
dance for rain
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Post by kx250guy »

Yes seriously. Someone in our local paddling club put the details out to the club members in a blanket email some time ago. The partner in charge of the Arkansas plant was sending out boats of poor quality and several complaints were coming in about them. This was the cause of the friction . They are also fighting over some sort of tax huge write-off left over from the old company . I havnt met either of the owners but Ive heard they both nice guys . My point in printing this is that as a comsumer , with all this going on, If someone gets a boat and needs a warranty it may be a long wait and I for one would like to know if my hard earned money is getting the best possible boat I can. I sure hope they can work out their differences.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Update from Stu...

Post by adamin »

I let Stu know about this thread, and he responded. I've removed some of the details, as they really do not matter. If you have questions, please go directly to him as the source.

------------------------------------------------------

Good Evening Adam:

Unfortunately, some of this is true. A number of Mohawk Canoes went out that were not up to the quality and standards that I expect (make that DEMAND!!) My current business partner is well-financed, and wishes to take advantage of the company of an accounting loss, and turn it into a gain for his family's company, McCourt MFG.), and I have everything I own into the company. The person who is/was in charge of manufacturing is not performing his duties to the level expected. This can be verified by contacting me at: stu132u@aol.com. The ONE THING that I am ADAMANT about is the fit and quality of the Canoes that we turn out at Mohawk.

I would have posted this, but I can't get my password to sign-on. If you think this should be posted, then please post this. If you feel that this is too much information, then put it into your own words, or don't post it at all.

Regards,

Stuart Gonzales