Massive boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Massive boats

Post by watrwzrd »

I just got a couple of new old boats ;-> A massive departure and another small canoe which is a massive boat too ,trying to figure out the name of the other?Anyone have any info on these boats?Tried to post pics to no avail. They are very cool boats would like to be able to post some small pics of em[/img]
Not Elvis
C Guru

Massive Canoes

Post by Not Elvis »

The other canoe, which is probably about 9'-5" long is called an Air. That boat has to be the best platform for heavy big water boating for 300lb plus guys. :o I know I took it down many class IIIs and IVs with the sole intent of trying to run DRY. Numerous times I succeeded, numerous times I failed.
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Departure!

Post by NZMatt »

Please post some pics (or send them to Adam) of the Departure. I've only ever heard of that boat and seen it on the old Massive promo video. I'd love tos ee some good shots of it. Where did you find the boats?

Cheers,
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

here is a link to an obsolete website showing the Massive product line form ~1997 including some pictures of the Departure and the Air:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/the_eddy/produ ... index.html

8)

Jay, do you have any footage of a 300lb guy runnging some seriously big and heavy water in a Massive Air? I think I would enjoy seeing that... :lol: ...

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Depature & Air

Post by NZMatt »

Yeah, those are also the shots on th video....I want to see some hull details though...

I've paddled the air....I nearly bought one (it was only 300bucks!). I took it down some class III stuff. Lots of fun. Absolutely zero primary stability and not much more secondary....kinda like a log :) I'm 150lbs (a bit under) and I still couldn't keep it dry! OK, so the deck plates needed some work....but....eventually a friend bought it for his <10yr old daughter as a starter boat for flatwater and easy whitewater. All I can say is that if she leanrs in that she's gonna be a heck of a paddler!
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

We here at CBoats.net would be most greatful if you'd e-mail us the images - we have no images for the "Virtual Boat Museum" of them! I'll link them to your post, too (though it may take a while, as others can attest...) info@cboats.net

Thank you!
Adam
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

I thought it was called an Air but wasn`t sure.They came from a fellow in Winston Salem,NC. I`m about 170#`s you think that is to much hehe I paddled both around in a creek not far from my house they seem to feel pretty good. Now I can`t wait for some RAIN and some nice big green water ,Hince some good action shots.I just took a few in the back yard,I will take some better one`s and send them to you,I do have to move some of the outfitting around to make myself feel more comfortable.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

watrwzrd wrote:They came from a fellow in Winston Salem,NC.
Maybe a guy named Don Hege who owns (owned?) a paddle shop? He had a Massive Groove once upon a time that I got to try on the Nantahala. That was rather amusing... The boat was cut for somebody at 150# and I was over 200# and I had little experience in a squirt type boat.
watrwzrd
Pain Boater

Post by watrwzrd »

He`s the one,Nice guy
Forgot to say Thanks for posting the info earlier. Will be at Kibler by 9:00