Shaman

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

Shaman

Post by ezwater »

:-? Anyone have hands-on experience with the Shaman? As usual, I am looking for a fast, snappy handling boat. Probably I will get a Hooter, but Hemlock makes a composite 13' Shaman, and I can afford it.
Jim P
C Guru

Only the plastic version

Post by Jim P »

I paddled the plastic version for a few years. The glass one is a bit longer and a little narrower according to the specs so should be a little faster.

Nice and fast yet quick turning boat. Can whip it into a small eddy real fast using off side tilts as the front half of the boat has enough of a chine to make it happen. Narrow in the bow section good for off side stokes.

Bad sides - well the stern is rounded thus sidesurfing can result in a magnetic attraction to the hole. Also the rocker in the front is a bit shy so at times getting out of an off side carve can be a bit difficult.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

They're nice & cushy to land on at the bottom of that drop in Upper Mash. Al swam after I landed on the hull of his Shaman.
Viper -1
Shaman - 0

Sorry Al :oops:
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

shaman

Post by billcanoes »

scott- aka riverrat paddles one and he is fast as lightning in it- and it looks very responsive
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

You might want to check out the Mohawk canoe web site. It has quite a bit of information from Harold Deal, the boat's designer, regarding its design characteristics and recommended paddling techniques.

I can't claim to be a great boater, but I did have the opportunity to try out Harold's glass Shaman once on the lower Yough. The boat is fast. The asymmetrical hull responds differently when you shift your weight forwards or back and that takes a little getting used to. I remember it as being a great wave-surfing boat. I think it had a bit of edge to it, but not as much as the Viper 12 I was paddling at the time.