Dagger Prophet

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

greybear
C Guru

Dagger Prophet

Post by greybear »

There is a Dagger Prophet in my local area for a good price, and I was looking for a winter boat that I don't mind beating up that would be good for low creek runs and lower volume rivers. I don't want to risk my Zephyr on winter runs and elf runs. I learned in a Ocoee and have owned Ocoee and Nitro would the prophet be alright for lower volume runs and manuvers or is it twitchy and tough to make moves?
SlovenOC'er
Pain Boater

Post by SlovenOC'er »

I had one years ago. Sorting through the remaining gray matter in my head, I recall it as quite rockered for it's length. It spun very easily, but was pretty slow. Rounded edges, so better at spinning into eddys than carving. High volume rockered ends made it a dry paddling boat. Dagger originally designed it for creeking, so it should work for you.

Slov
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

for what i can remember that's bang on.
Softer Chines, softer then the ocoee, zypher and nitro..and it has a fair amount of rocker.

When i think of the prophet i think of Bob Foote and company running waterfalls in Chile.

If it's a good deal, it'll make a great beat up low volume creek boat.
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

I will trying the boat tomorrow, but I looked at pics and view some specs, I am used to planning hulls and the boat does look slow. I am beginning to have my doubts but I will try it just in case, a Viper or Probe 12II or 11 might be more what I am looking for.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

I don't get why you guys are afraid to beat on the Zephyrs??
It's what they are made for, Tougher than Royalex, lighter..??
I paddle mine everwhere and have beat the heck out of it for nearly 2 years. Rock splats,spins,etc...
There are no signs of it wearing out anytime soon.
Use it for what it was designed for.
so what if it gets some scratches on it and doesn't look new anymore. It's a freakin canoe....
And it's dam near bombproof
Amiga!!
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

http://www.dagger.com/product.asp?BoatT ... BoatID=237
8"/7" of rocker!!! sounds like one helluva creeker!
dance for rain
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Zephyr is a tough boat, but the knee pads reattachment is a big issue and I will try to catch up with Eli later this year, the glue is very expensive and if my years of science truly pay off the Zephyr material may hold up during -45 runs in the winter but $1700.00 is a lot of money and I am not going to experment with mine this coming winter. I did try the prophet this morning and was very impressed with the way it handled, the probe I found to be rather unreposnceive and wet, the Prophet was dryer and better for what I need it for plus ABS has some insulating quialities for winter paddling, My Zephyr is my main boat and my Prophet will be winter and creeker boat.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I decided not to fret with the glue issue and went with the bulkhead - it's workingreat for me and works acceptably for smaller folks who take the boat out (I think I am an unnoficial South Carolina Zephyr Demo Center), heck, one guy can even roll it and he is probably 80 pounds lighter.
space-katet
C Boater

my prophet

Post by space-katet »

hi,

I am young and not well invested :-) so I bought a much-used Prophet for $250 last year. I got what I paid for, but I'm looking to upgrade now.

My main complaints are the rocker and the weight. It's HEAVY- mine has these huge plastic gunwales and stern and bow plates. It's tough for me to get it on my car myself (I'm a 5'6" woman). And the rocker is EXTREME- I didn't realize how much until I saw a picture of myself on the water. It looked like I was paddling a banana! I have trouble attaining, getting into eddies, and keeping it going straight. I know the problem is more me than the boat, but the boat isn't helping.

If nothing else, you will realize after your winter paddling season how much you love your other boat!
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

When I tried the Prophet yes it does not track well, but it turns great with that much rocker it will get eat-up compared to many other canoes, that what my Zephyr is for, my prophet will do well on Wilson, Whitetop and other regional creeks. The boat is heavy but I paddled a Nitro which is weighs more. The Prophet is only going to fill the winter creek void for creeks that is what I do most in the winter months. I lie tried and liked it, I will use my Zephyr for warmer months, I am a park ranger so I need to save my boats as much as possible with this day and age my job is year to year pink slips can come anytime.
Louie

BAILEY HAD A COUPLE

Post by Louie »

After the first one he outfitted the next ones backwards and it was a better boat.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

prophet

Post by oc1paddlr »

banana boats i like, bit a head wind gets rough. that's what scared me off the prophet when it first came out. That you flying squirrel? my Occoe might be up for a trade...
paddlr
red boat ready
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I love my Prophet. It is great on creeky water, will spin and turn on a dime and is a very dry boat. Most of the edge is from your knees back so it took a little getting used to to set angles, but once you figure it out it is great. With all the rocker it behaves essentially as a shorter boat, drive it in deep to catch your eddys since the boat behaves as a shorter boat (the rocker essentially keeps the ends out of the water). Surfs great in holes. Surfing on waves requires needs a little more attention with agressive bow strokes. I would not trade mine for anything, it is a little heavy cpompared to some other boats, but that thick royalex makes for a tough butt boat...
SYOTR
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

Red Boat Ready, yeah its me you want to trade your Ocoee, what are you looking for or how much for the Ocoee? I reget the day my Ocoee became holy and brittle, the Ocoee was the greatest design ever I believe. If the price is right I won't buy this prophet the Ocoee is perfect and a Viper 12 would be alright to.
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Absolutely LOVED my Prophet! Excellent rocker and very forgiving.....slow but worth it. Freakin' hard to roll, but then my roll pretty much sucks anyways.