Quick Reattachment of Anchor Pads

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dirk
C Boater

Quick Reattachment of Anchor Pads

Post by dirk »

During a pool session today I tore out one of the ankle anchors in my R-light Rival. I bought the boat used, so I do not know what was used initially. The pad looks pretty clean, but the glue seems to be on the boat pretty well.

What do people recommend for reattachment? Can I clean the boat and pad with MEK or acetone and simply reattach with Stabond? I live in central TX and we finally have water (after a two year drought), so I hope to be out this weekend. Stabond requires waiting several days for it to get here (I doubt I can find it locally).

Has anyone tried the Devcon Plastic Welder on R-Light boats? I can get it with a trip to W-Mart. With a search I found that ChrisKelly highly recommends the stuff, but boatbuster says it melts boats. Anyone else with experience with the Devcon stuff or other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Austin, TX
OC1
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

Clean the old glue off with acetone, so that the hull of the boat is nice a clean. With some fine grit sandpaper rub the hull to make a few marks (this will allow the pad to adhear better to the boat), and use the most toxic contact cement you can buy.

I usually apply the contact cement to the boat and pad, then let sit for a few minutes then blow over both with a heat gun and slap them together.

I use contact cement for everything boating related.
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I would recommend denatured Alcohol over Acetone as it is a little less abrasive. My 2 cents
B
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Dirk, I live in S. Austin, and have some Mondo Bond. Works great
on ABS, glass, kevlar, ect. I bought it at REI (north), they might have it at the south location. Give them a call. If not, I could give you some. Let me know. I'd stay away from MEK and acetone, just
hit it with some sand paper.
P.S. Canyon Lake release is 5000cfs this week,scary fun.
pm me let's do some open boating. Barton creek hit 1000cfs last weekend,big fun. I want more rain!!!!!!!!!!
dance for rain
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

Dirk andC1Swim

Post by oc1paddlr »

I don't know if you guys already knew each other, but I love it when paddlers get together through C-Forum Worked for me at the single-sticker-itaintyouknowwhombutihopehedoesitagain
paddlr
red boat ready
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

I have never had an anchor point tear out

Post by ChrisKelly »

hwen glued in with Devcon Plastic Welder. I have had those grey plastic rectangle D-ring holders break at the U there the D-ring or the rope goes but that is not glue failure.

One of the downsides of Plastic Welder is that if/when you want to take out the anchor you must grind down the glue.

It has worked very well on Royalite, both for Dagger Rivals and for Esquif Sparks. I want to know if it will work on Twintex. I don't think it is necessary on Royalex.

Chris Kelly

Oh yes, I do not clean with MEK or Acetone but just sand well and use alcohol.
dirk
C Boater

Thanks for the advice

Post by dirk »

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Given ChrisKelly's luck with the same type of boat, I plan to use the Devcon Plastic Welder later today.

I had not made contact with C1swim until now. We plan to boat the Lower Guad (a nice central TX run) tomorrow. Good to know of more C-boaters in the area.

Thanks again.
Austin, TX
OC1
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

additional thouoghts. Please let us know how it goes.

Post by ChrisKelly »

If you have not done it yet, use half the tube on each anchor. Do not mix the second hald until the first one is done because you will lose too much working time. Get a roller and push the pad down well. Roll out all the air pockets. You will have about four minutes of working time once you mix.

Chris