Fox to C1 conversion?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

redster

Fox to C1 conversion?

Post by redster »

My co worker is offering to loan me his Perception Fox slalom kayak. He said just convert it into a C1 till I get my new boat(Outrage) so I can start learning . Since it's a kayak ,would it handle differently than a real C1 canoe? Since I'm learning it really doesn't matter as I need to learn all the C1 specific technique. Just curious on the difference of a C1 versus K1 hull design.

Redster
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I think the Fox would be twitchy and unstable, but a lot of fun once you figured it out. They're hard to come by too. I wouldn't think it would be similar at all to an openboat, if you mastered the Fox you'd probably wind up wanting to stick with the C1.
The main difference is that the Fox is a lot narrower than many C1's and also quite low volume. I've never paddled one but seen a few and it would certainly take some skill to get used to I would think. Probably not the best boat for learning unless your a quick learner and don't easily give up.
Will
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I really do not think it would be worth your effort to do the conversion. The boat is worth much more as it is (though no tupperware pseudo-racer can touch the real thing), and slalom kayaks have rather different design goals compared to slalom c-1s.

I would have your co-worker keep the Fox for some young k-1 slalom wannabe and look elsewhere for your C-1. There are plenty of cheap used slalom c-1s around, and there are much better kayaks for conversion. As for the Outrage you plan on getting, little you do in a converted Fox is going to prepare you, except swimming.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Agree about not converting the Fox. It's a slalom-based plastic kyack, so it's VERY skinny in the width making it a very twitchy, unstable boat. If you want to go that route, check out the Maven--I did. :D

Otherwise, just wait until your boat gets in or a more stable boat comes your way.

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Likewise, I would not consider converting a Fox. It will not be that stable, an the cockpit rim will be a bit close for your legs.

I do know of 2 for sale locally (a third is actually a prize at this coming weekend's Hudson River Whitewater Derby!).