Getting started in OC1 ,Outrage?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

redster

Getting started in OC1 ,Outrage?

Post by redster »

I'm a complete beginner,has experience mainly sea kayaks. Fortunately for me I work where I can purchase a Mad River Outrage for a deal. I've been wanting to do white water boating for a while and wanting to do it canoe style. Would I be sorry later on when my skills gets better if I buy the Outrage? Also may wanna dabble with it doing slalom as my co worker is trying to get me into slalom racing.

Redster
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The Outrage is a fine beginner/intermediate canoe, particularly when it can be bought for a deal. It's also a decent slalom boat with good hull speed. You may outgrow it in time, but then you can just sell it and buy something else. It's what we all do.
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

I began solo paddling in a wood gunwaled Outrage. I thought it was great boat to learn in, very forgiving and as noted pretty good hull speed.

I now paddle a Skeeter and Ocoee most of the time, but keep my Outrage as a back up and for big water runs and solo tripping. I have people wanting to but it from me all the time. :D
redster

Post by redster »

Thank you for the replies. Looks like it's a good choice as a starting flat form. I really want a race C1 but I think that's a harder transition,plus my wife can use the boat too while I use my kayak.For sure I'll keep this boat for a while ,also for introducing friends into paddling.

Redster