Hudson Armada 2006 (Sept. 9, 10)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hudson Armada 2006 (Sept. 9, 10)

Post by Sir Adam »

Greetings, all!

This years Armada will be a bit different - for folks arriving on Friday (early) I may be able to show you down another local river - the Schroon, Sac, or a lower section of the Hudson, depending on river levels and such.

Saturday will be the traditional running of the Gorge.

Sunday we can boat something shorter, if anythings running, or try out various boats from the "CBoat Museum" (I'm on moving water, but it's not really moving that much).

For folks from farther away, if you really want to come but not to drive PM or e-mail me and we'll try and work something out - Southwest often has CHEAP flights to Albany, and I or AdkSara may be able to pick you up there, and I do have *ahem* several *ahem* boats, skirts, and such around.

We have two spots to camp - my barn up north that a lot of folks are familiar with, and our house here in Queensbury. As you may have read, our addition won't be done yet, but we have plenty of lawn, and could certainly hold a big cookout:)

Info on the Hudson from previous Armadas:

It is an ALL DAY trip, and I'll ask that you have a solid or semi-solid roll. There are two class IV rapids even at lower levels, but both are portagable.

Please post, PM, or e-mail me if you're interested, and please note if you would like to come but would like another option-if enough folks are interested we'll split in to two trips, with the easier group running the Sacandaga, Schroon (if running) or another part of the Hudson (if running).

I can provide free camping with potable water and an outhouse.

A less than complete but rather lenghty description of the Hudson that I posted for the fall armada...use the search function (for "Hudson" to find all the related posts...):

The Hudson is most likely different than most rivers many of you have run in several respects-
1) It's a long wilderness trip
2) The rapids (at "normal" fall levels-3-5') are technical, not big
3) The river, though not as wide as the Ottawa in all spots, is fairly wide-there is more than just 1 line down the river, and with only a few exceptions (namely the class IV rapids) you can pretty much boat where you'd like (although some lines are easier than others)

So, here we go-THE HUDSON:
The first 3 miles are actually on the Indian River as NZMatt stated-3 miles of class III, with one great spot to regroup, and several smaller ones. The first rapid is Indian Head, followed by the FInch Pruyn Islands (regrouping spot, not really a rapid), and Gooley Steps. Also, as NZ Matt stated this is fairly continuous class III stuff-if you are comfortable paddling in moving water (read waves and small holes) you'll be fine. Also, at normal fall levels the Indian, though only class III, will be the toughest part of the day (due to it's continuous nature).

Then the Confluence with the Hudson. This is the last point you can take out for many miles (and even here requires a bit of a walk, but there is a road at least, though it is private)

The first rapid on the Hudson is Cedar Ledges. Class IIish at normal fall levels, IIIish if higher, but really a float and chat for most folks.

We can stop off at Virgin Falls (nice little water fall on the side of the river where a stream enters into the Hudson) and stretch our legs a bit

Next is Blue Ledge-at 5' or so I think it is defined as Class V in an old guide book-I seriously DO NOT SEE IT. Class III, yes, and V when there is A LOT of water, but seriously, it's no more difficult than the Indian. This is the half-way point by mileage, but not time.

Just below this is a GREAT surf wave river right (and a great squirt line above it in Blue Ledge Pool, also river right). There is a public trail into the river at this point (3 miles round trip, I think), and it's a good lunch spot.

The surf wave is the very top of the Narrows, the bottom of which is the first class IV of the day. It is portageable. It features BIG waves (not ottawa-sized, though), and one hold to avoid (very easy to avoid it, again, if your comfortable paddling in moving water).

Below the Narrows is Osprey Nest, a fun little bouncy class III, and a HUGE pool (square eddy) to regroup in).

After Square Eddy is Carters, or Split Rock. There is a hole river center (the appropriately named "Big Nasty" (hear that KNeal? BIG NASTY ) to avoid, but it's super easy if you know it's there. Carters is long, but there are eddys to catch, and it's class IIIish. You do need to watch out for "Little Nasty"(another souse hole) near the end, but at lower levels (3') the rock that causes it is out of the water.

After Carters is OK Slip, which is short with some pools,

This leads into Giveny's Rift, the second class IV of the day, and the most serious water on this section of the river. Again, it is portageable. J. will no doubt have fun playing in it, but the rest of us will most likely just run it straight. It's short, and there is a bit pool at the bottom, but there are a lot of rocks, and the currents are strong. For those that have paddled the North Branch, think of a bigger, longer, steeper Robins Nest. Multiple small drops to paddle through (no really trashy holes at this level, though).

After that is Gunsight In and Out (fun little class IIIs agian), and Harris (aka Mile Long). Fairly continuous class II/III, with a few holes right off river-right on shore to avoid.

Next is Greyhound Bus Stop, and almost river-wide play feature (hole in this case). A great way to end the day is to use what energy remains here Nice eddy, and very deep after the ledge itself (remember to tuck on those windowshades...). There is also a nice surf wave just above it.

The last few miles are float or paddle, depending on how tired everyone is. If the rive is up (closer to 5') it's a quick float. Closer to 3' and it's a long float unless you paddle (I think it's 2 Miles or so, though it may be 3).

More Information:
To check out the river level-http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv?01315500 (this also shows CFS as well as feet) and more information about the Hudson- http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/1321/.

A consistent role and comfort in moving water is required, as this is a long trip, and it will be fall paddling in New England (as previously mentioned, most folks from south of NYS will most likely be most comfortable in a drytop.) The scenery is unbelievably gorgous (no pun intended ), especially during this time of year (fall foliage).

Anyone else that would like to add there thought on the Hudson, please do so-I've been guiding the gorge for the past 10 years, and it's familiar territory to me-fresh perspectives like NZMatts and others are very welcome.

In case you wonder what sorts of boats travel this regularly, XXX, Z's, Forplays and Scores are not uncommon. The river manager for one rafting company "safety boats" in an S6. I makes for a loooong day, but he has fun.
Keep the C!
Adam
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Ok

Post by Sir Adam »

Ok, the date is set (Sept. 9, 10)

I realize it's only a 10 days away now, but who is planning on coming (PM me if you need directions on where to camp, and let me know if you'd prefer the rustic barn 20min away from the takeout, or our yard (conveniently right on the river, albeit a flat section of it) that is 40min or so away.

We'll finalize what rivers we pre or post run depending on what the levels are after this weekends downpours:)

Note that if the Hudson is over 6' we'll most likely do a lower section instead. I'm hoping it will be around 4.5, which is an ideal level, even for open boaters:)

I'll post your name here as a full tally - either PM me or post below:)

1) Adam
2) Kenneth
3) Martin
4) Mal P.?
5) Larry
6) Shelly
7) (possibly..) Marko (again!)
8) Horst (albeit with a training paddle, leading the Adk Trip)
Last edited by Sir Adam on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the C!
Adam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Great , I will be there for Saturday and Sunday :) (unfortunately I can't take off Friday :( )!

I will have the following boats with me:

Sith (reserved for Adam 8) )
Acrobat

I can throw one or two of the following on the truck, if anyone is interested:

Wheelboy
Finkenmeister
Prelude
Noah America C2

Martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Adam,
I am a maybe. I have been nursing a sore knee and every weekend it gets a bit better. I would be interested in knowing if someone would be interested in paddling tandem OC down the gorge. I paddle left.

Jim K-R
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Heidi
Pain Boater

gorge run

Post by Heidi »

Hey Jim, I was planning on paddling my Outrage, but I'll do a tandem OC run; I'm a righty, what's the boat? Hoping it's a comfortable fit. Just a few showers in the forecast for this week and so far Sat. looking rain free with showers Sun.

Adam, I'd like to pitch a tent whereever the 'gang' lands, that barn with all the eye candy sounds great. So, out for dinner or we bring something to cook over a fire?

I'll bring the modified Batmax. BTW, I'm looking for a med tunnel spray skirt to fit that boat.

Heidi
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

The plan...

Post by Sir Adam »

Here is the plan currently:

Those that would like to camp Friday night please PM me for directions.

Otherwise, we'll meet at Whitewater Challengers in North River, NY at 9:15 AM on Saturday (they will most likely kindly dontate a shuttle to us again 8) ). If you have friends and family that would like to raft along with our trip I believe there are spaces open for this weekend's Hudson trips....

The river is LOW for this time of year, and fall foliage is just barely starting, BUT it is much warmer than past Fall Armadas....

Saturday for dinner we'll grill at our house here in Queensbury. Please PM me if chicken is NOT ok (we're happy to provide veggie burgers, etc... - just let us know!).

Camping will also be down here (the boats are here now, too:) ).

Sunday we'll play it by ear - trying boats here in Queensbury, or boating the Sacandaga (approx. 15 min away), or both.

The temps should be in the upper 60's, water temp is still ok, and we may see a little sun, but don't plan on it....

For questions or directions PM or e-mail me (info@cboats.net)
Keep the C!
Adam
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I'm a no show for the armada. Knees.

Just have to come up when I can.

Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

I'm still undecided, but leaning towards "Yes", if for no other reason than to represent the bad-knee contingent in Kelly-Rand's honor. hehehe
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

It's definite, I'm in!!!
Heidi
Pain Boater

Post by Heidi »

I have been looking forward to the armada, but will not be able to attend; passing of a family member.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Our thoughts are with you

Post by Sir Adam »

Our thoughts are with you.

There will be another Hudson Armada, don't worry :D
Keep the C!
Adam