Best OC-1 Rolling Video

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hutchej
c

Best OC-1 Rolling Video

Post by hutchej »

Can anyone recommend an instructional rolling video or dvd that is easy to purchase? I would appreciate links to sites where to order from etc and any opinions on the films.
Thanks,

Jonathan Hutcheon :)
a.k.a Hutch
ghetto johnny
C Guru

Post by ghetto johnny »

hutch,
that's good question,
the one's that i bought (Bob Foote open canoe roll) didn't really help out at all, with the type of boat that i paddle (cufly)
let me know
john c.
cincy,ohio
Louie

An old one don't know

Post by Louie »

if you can get it in DVD but Rollin with Nolan show how
whitewaterdancer
Supporting Paddler

Rolling a C-1 instructional video

Post by whitewaterdancer »

Hi,

Check out "The C-1 Challenge" by Kent Ford. Excellent c-1 instruction video, although it is old school. (1990) Kent also shows how to roll onside and off side and also demos a roll without getting his hair wet. (or at least the top of his head)

http://www.performancevideo.com/the_c-1_challenge

Hope this helps. It has helped me.
whitewaterdancer
Supporting Paddler

Duh, have c-1 on the brain, LOL.

Post by whitewaterdancer »

Sorry about that, I missed the oc part. Duh!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The comparable Kent Ford video for OC's is "Solo Playboating" - he shows how to roll an OC in that one. It's all above water footage though.

While it is not a video, the book "The Thrill of the Paddle" by Paul Mason (and others?) has a good description and photos of OC-1 and OC-2 rolls.

The C-1 and OC-1 rolls are similar if not identical.
ghetto johnny
C Guru

Post by ghetto johnny »

hutch,
what type of boat are you paddling?
just curious, as before depending on the boat there are many different ways to roll
i know alot of hardcore open boater(12-16' boats) that can not roll my cufly or spanish fly and vice versa i can not roll there longer boat
the solo playboating video is a good one for some technique but not really a rolling video
just my experiences as learning to roll
johnc.
cincy,ohio
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

"The Thrill of the Paddle" is what I was just flipping through (Paul Mason and Mark Scriver) to learn about rolling C's and OC's - I've only had one lake session with Adam to learn to roll and wasn't terribly successful, but am bound and determined to get a roll this year, and I'm very interested in OC's, so I'm curious what other advice is out there too. The book was very helpful and covered in detail how to roll C1, OC1 and OC2 (maybe C2?). It's also just a generally good book.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I think it is time for an updated video on rolling canoes - open and decked. I can see it now - "Rolling with C-boats.net", "O/C-1 Grace Under Pressure", "The C-Boats.net Roll", ... Can I get an amen?
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Ahmen!

Speaking of which... Kenneth, have you searched the archived threads on this forum? There's of lots of great, bad, conflicting and useful discussion and advice about various types of boats under various situations.

P.
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

I haven't searched yet - since so many people have different viewpoints and techniques I'd rather not get too many conflicting views in my head. Work on one line of attack first, see how it goes, then search the forums for corrective measures. :)
Beth
c

Paul Mason DVD

Post by Beth »

I just watched a DVD that Paul Mason has made... he was showing it at a course he was teaching this week. Not sure if he sells it or not but it had a section on rolling and he was in a cufly.
ghetto johnny
C Guru

Post by ghetto johnny »

beth,
can you find out if it's availble or how to get a copy
i would be appreciated
thanks
john
hutchej
c

Post by hutchej »

Hi guys,

I'm glad that i've sparked a pretty good discussion here. I'm paddling a Dagger Rival but would like to move to an Esquif Zoom or Dagger Phantom in the near future. I'm going to probably take a course but would like to give it a shot on my own.

I will look around at the information you guys have given me and see what i can do. If you guys have any more info please continue to post it here. Maybe a cboats.net section on rolling would be helpful.
Thanks,

Jonathan Hutcheon :)
a.k.a Hutch
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I know there is footage out there on the web, but most of it is above the surface - I think under water footage is particularly helpful. I have some that we shot but it is pretty poor and we ruined a camera getting it. I had it up on a web site for a while...