Rookie seeks advice on OC1's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Slowfoot

Rookie seeks advice on OC1's

Post by Slowfoot »

Hi, Y'all - I need some input on what kind of canoe I should buy.

On the negative side, I'm big (270), tall (6'5"), old (45) & creaky (knee and shoulder snap, crackle, & pop). I'm a reasonably good kayaker, though I haven't been in a canoe since I was 12 in grandpa's aluminum Sears job.

I'd like to paddle reasonably easy whitewater (Potomac south of Great Falls, etc) this year and maybe graduate to the Cheat and New next year or the year after. Wouldn't mind being able to carry a tent and some fishing stuff on easier water if I felt like an overnighter. I was thinking a solo-outfitted Esquif Vertige X or a Mad River Outrage X, and would like some thoughts on these or other options. I'm going with all the Mike Yee outfitting parts unless I'm told that's a bad move.

Thanks in advance!
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

canoe

Post by billcanoes »

I had an outrage x- I thought it was very stable and a great beginner boat for me- I'm I'm 5'6" 195- there's a paddler from TX who went to the Carolina Canoe Club week of rivers who paddled an outrage X and was just about your size and he loved it.
I paddled the Vertige I felt it was faster than the outrage X-I toyed with the idea of replacing my Blast for a Vertige as a Tandem boat for my son and I- (I have not tried the vertige x), it's too wide for me.

Bill
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Think about checking out the Prodigy X. Its a bit wider than the Outrage X, more stable, initially anyway and is a very easy paddling boat, in my opinion. It has less rocker, so it tracks easier,even for a shorter boat and is quite a bit lighter- easier on and off the water. Paddle some before you buy, that is the esiest way for you to decide. GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN :D
Slowfoot

Post by Slowfoot »

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Now, a monkey wrench: I can get a very good deal on a used Mohawk Probe 12. Is this too small for me and/or too edgy for a beginner?

PS, ain't a single paddling shop within a 50 mile radius of Washington, DC that has a whitewater canoe in stock. Last time I looked (10 years ago), they all did. What happened?
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

oc1

Post by billcanoes »

I think the Probe 12 would probably fit you
johnd
C Guru

rookie seeks advice

Post by johnd »

I paddle a Viper 12 and it's worked out well for me. I'm 245 pounds, six-two, and feel it has room to spare. The Viper is about the same length as the Probe. They're pretty large boats, 12.5 feet. The Probe is less edgy.

If you're getting a good deal on the Probe, I would go for it.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Go for the Probe

Post by Wendy »

If it is in good shape- great boat to start with and run amuke. I liked it better than the newer Outrage. I paddle Ocoee now, but have had a Outrage and paddled a Prodigy and Prodigy X. They are great boats too. Never hurts at todays prices to have a used one to learn with.
BigSpencer

...Either one!

Post by BigSpencer »

My $.01...@52yo,
Either one would be a great boat. As you get going in either boat...the softer edges inspire active participation(with stability) in gnarly water, which will only improve your skills.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Go for the Probe 12. It is not too small for you. It is a wonderful learning canoe.
In fact, it got me hooked on OC1 years ago. I still love to paddle it's cousin/more advanced design the Viper.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

All good choices. Re. what happened to OC1s, Dagger stopped

Post by boatbuster »

making them, the bastards. That leaves Esquif, Bell, Mohawk (although I have heard they are making no new ww boats) and a handful of composite manufacturers. We are always glad to have another brother join the few, the proud, the open boaters. Good luck.

PS Caption is a great option for a big guy if you can find one, and it makes a nifty tandem boat too. Go for the Probe 12 though. :evil:
BigSpencer

Clipper: a few Mohawk molds...?

Post by BigSpencer »

...as someone has mentioned elsewhere...it looks like Clipper might now have a few Mohawk molds...? : Clipper_Link
Jim P
C Guru

RE Clipper

Post by Jim P »

Clipper has been making those glass versions of the Probe & Viper for at least a few years. Are they now making Royalex?