Question about Royalex, exposure to weather and chemicals

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Question about Royalex, exposure to weather and chemicals

Post by boatbuster »

I am looking at a couple of Outrages. One is brand new, dark purple, and has been sitting upside down on racks outdoors for probably 10 months at least. If I buy this boat, is there a risk of UV damage to the hull? It has never been paddled and has not a scratch.

The other boat has been used, but not much. It is sitting inside at an indoor swimming pool where it is no doubt exposed to lots of chlorine in the air. Anyone have experience with Royalex boats stored at indoor pools and if so, should I be worried about damage to the plastic

Thanks, bros.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Boat #1. You will damage the boat more the first time you paddle it than if it where sitting in the sun for 10 years. Most plastics and layups all use a UV block. It'll be fine.

Boat #2. Should be ok. If the boat is outfitted check over the outfitting and bags real well. Chlorine will in time damage airbags and outfitting glue if improperly installed.

Good luck~
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Thanks!

Post by boatbuster »

I will consider both as possible replacement boats. The one at the pool is not outfitted so it should be fine.
David Nickerson
Pain Boater

Sun is good for a new hull

Post by David Nickerson »

Jacques always told me that he'd leave boats destined to be my "beaters" out in the sun for weeks before he'd release them for my use. He said that the sun helped to harden the royalex, it sort of "cured" it.

So, I'd lean toward the "sun-baked" hull.

Hope this helps,
David