C1 Squirt boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Col
Pain Boater

C1 Squirt boats

Post by Col »

Hi,

I am looking to get a pure C1 Squirt boat, can anyone give me a list of what C1 squirt boats are out there and if they are any good?

I think Downtime in the UK make a Meltdown C1 squirt , and there is a Groove which is more of a hybrid but thats all i know. Any other info would be great..?

Cheers
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

PS Composites has a mold for the Acrobat and the Oxygen. www.customkayak.com
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

well...

Post by PAC »

Check out the C1 Rec Boat section http://cboats.net/recboats/
There are write ups on a few of them there - also check out the Mavern link http://cboats.net/maven.shtml (you can start bugging Adam too :wink: )!
Try the search function as to threads relating to each of the boats you find of interest! Enjoy! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Ok...

Post by Sir Adam »

To my knowledge these are the boats that are out there. There are images of most of them in the "C1 Rec Boats" link...

Acrobat: Comes in two versions, "Master" cut, which is a shorter boat, and quite honestly is almost a different model than the "Standard" cut. Master cut is faster cartwheeling, slower on teh water, and a lot of fun. Standard cut is faster, usually slightly higher volume, and one of my favorite squirt / cruise boats (assuming you're into going THROUGH waves rather than over them :o ). Several low-low cut versions are mystery capable

Aerobat: Older design, Will Lyons has the only one I've ever seen images of. May or may not be mystery-able, depending on your weight.

Edge: Also an older design, great for cruising / squirting as well, but a bit more forgiving than the Acrobats, and a bit higher volume

Meltdown-Basically a reworked Fantum (If my memory serves me correctly). I've never seen one, and have tried to order a new one twice from Meltdown in the UK, and have had no success doing so. Several folks in the UK have them, and they look like nice boats. I'm not sure how they rate in the mystery category, however.

Oxygen: By far the most mystery capable boat built to date, BUT really, really, really tough to boat. Will make class II / III feel like V. NO rocker, asymetric sides. Fun as a toy, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable in anything this twitchy to control a mystery move.

The above analysis has caused me to try and build my own Squirt boat. A lot of folks have cut down old slalom boats (which, quite frankly, is all the Acrobat, Aerobat, and Edge are...just tweaked slalom designs)...you'll find others other there, which, if you're heavier (say, over 180lbs or so) may work fine for you. For those of us in the lighter crowd though, there's just too much volume left. Enter...the Maven (which, BTW, I pick up the finished, sealed mold TOMORROW to start waxing twice a day for a week or so in preparation of the building of the first production boat). I designed it to have the low-volume of the Oxygen, but with the forgiving ness of an acrobat bow and viper stern (this will make more sense when I post images of the finished plug in a few days...I'll be picking that up, too), and an enlarged cockpit area (a la Cascade or Atom).

The "work-in-progress" boat worked very well, so the design was cleaned up, tweaked, and sanded (and sanded, and sanded, and sanded) into a plug to pull a mold off of.

We'll see how it goes. I'll be very honest and say it is NOT going to be as perfectly shaped as a PS Composites boat (this is my first one, remember!) BUT, the hull is super-sweet, as is the volume distribution.

If you have any further questions, let me know...

Oh-two other boats, that I consider "hybrids":
Groove-really a surf and cartwheel boat
Viper-it can be cut down enough to mystery, but wasn't really designed for it. It's really a stern-squirting cruiser.
Keep the C!
Adam