How do I shorten a paddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gotstarbucks
c

How do I shorten a paddle?

Post by gotstarbucks »

I have a Werner Carbon breakdown that is about 1 inch too long, can I shorten it?
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

shortening a paddle

Post by chuck naill »

One way to shorten a paddle is to start with the handle remembering that the wooden handle extends into the shaft perhaps two or so inches. If you can get the handle out first, that would be best. If you cannot salvage the handle you could get a piece of wooden dowel material and put the same size hole is the down as the diameter of the shaft after you have cut the handle off. Use a water proof epoxy to afix the dowell. Allow enough time for the epoxy to set up, perhaps several days.

Chuck
creek1r
Pain Boater

Breakdown?

Post by creek1r »

If a breakdown, you should be able to shorten at the female end of the joint. You would have to cut off (pipe cutter), relocate the hole for the pin and the shaft plug. I think this maybe easier than removing T-grip.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

a pipe cutter?
Larry
billcanoes
CBoats Addict

paddle

Post by billcanoes »

I used an electric miter saw to cut the length- but it was an uncut shaft- check to ensure there isnt a plug if you cut the mail female end