Royalex repair question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Royalex repair question

Post by boatbuster »

I have a soft spot of delamination right under my knee-brace bulkhead in my MR Outrage. When I got off the Cheoah I noticed a small tear in the outer vinyl layer (I have no idea how it happened since I saw few rocks all day) I squirted a bunch of Gorilla Glue in there since it is water activated, then set some cinder blocks on top of it to make sure it didn't bulge out too far. It worked great, the area that was delaminated is solid now, however it created a low spot in the hull, an indentation or pocket, that I now must fill with something before I cover it with a patch.
What should I use to fill that spot? It is smaller than the palm of your hand. I haven't got the materials yet to do ABS patching, so I thought I would just cover the whole area over with a couple of layers of Kevlar to keep it from wearing any more, but I need to fill that void with something. If you have done filling on Royalex and have some ideas I would welcome them.

:o
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

3m 3532, if you can find it, check the hardware store, you can sand and paint it once it has hardened, good luck.
madmike
C Guru

filling

Post by madmike »

I like JB weld for filling in royalex.
boatbuster
CBoats Addict

Thanks fellow open boaters

Post by boatbuster »

I used something called Devcon Marine Plastic Epoxy Putty and it seems to have worked great. Not sure how flexible it is, but mix it by kneeding it with your fingers and it can be applied to wet surfaces. I plan on keeping some in my dry bag for future emergency repairs.
dixie_boater
C Guru

ABS Repair

Post by dixie_boater »

Hey Boat buster, is your name Harrison Metzgar? If so, I met you on Sect. IV at 7 ft. falls on Labor Day. I owe you some more info on boat repair, but since you're on Cboats you can do a search on this forum for my Royalex repair methods.

I remember seeing the bottom of your Outrage at the boat ramp on Lake Tugaloo. I saw it from the upper parking lot as you put it on your racks. From what I could see it looked like you need a plate under the saddle where all the wear has occurred.

For filling the void I would go with the JB weld since you haven't bought the Loctite methacrylate adhesive. Epoxy paste (PC-7) works OK, but it can crack because it doesn't flex. The JB weld is better than PC-7 for that application.

If you only need a small piece of ABS I can mail you a 1 or 2 ft. square. I buy it in 4' x 8' sheets of 1/8" and 3/32". Also, if you can't find the industrial adhesive in Asheville, I can connect you up with my supplier in Atlanta. They can mail it direct to your home.

Yesterday I had a great day on Sect. IV. Since most folks were gone to Gauley fest there were only a dozen paddlers on Sect. IV. It was the lowest I have seen the Chattooga in a year. It was 1.47' on the bridge. One of my friends paddles a Pyranha Prelude and he got some great boofs at the Dog. Landed flat with very little water in his boat! Not to be denied I did the same in my Caption. Beautiful late summer day with a high around 80 and partly cloudy skies. Felt more like late August weather than end of September weather. The lake was smooth and still with no wind. It just doesn't get much better!

Michael
Red cascade

Post by Red cascade »

I had a new boat damaged in shipment. The manufacturer gave be a discount and sent me JB Weld to fix it.