Dagger Caption versus Bell Nexus

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

solocanu

Dagger Caption versus Bell Nexus

Post by solocanu »

I am looking for feedback comparing the Dagger Caption and Bell Nexus tandem canoes. Does one have a distinct advantage in regards to: beginner friendliness, carving turns, running dry, paddling tandem, paddling solo, solo tripping, or any other notable traits.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Mostly 2nd-hand reviews, but, for what it's worth, I've heard better things about the Caption (and Mohawk Probe 14, and the Esquif Vertige X seems similar to a Caption) than I have about the Nexus (and Synergy).

I find the Caption very fun, with incredible secondary stability. It is a play boat, so it likes to be paddled/tilted agressively.

The major difference between the 2 though, is that you can still buy a new Nexus, and used Captions may be getting hard to find.

P.
dixie_boater
C Guru

Caption is good for solo tripping on WW

Post by dixie_boater »

My friend has taken a Caption on a Middle Fork trip and found it to handle very well when loaded with camping gear. I own a Caption and paddle it solo on class III-IV. It is a very dry running boat and carves turns well when paddled aggressively. As posted above it needs to be pushed to perform on WW. I believe a beginner can adjust to the boat, especially if he or she is paddling tandem with an experienced canoeist. The boat is great at bow surfing. Don't jump into any holes for a side surf and expect it to be stable. You'll flip faster than I can say it.

Don't know anyone that paddles a Bell Nexus. Don't see many Bell WW canoes in the SE US. That will change when more Bell-made Ocoees make it down here.

I have a friend who enjoys paddling a Mohawk Probe 14 solo on the Ocoee and Chattooga. They are fairly dry running. They have less rocker than a Caption. Some say their hulls hold up better than Captions do.

Michael
solocanu

Thanks for the replies so far...

Post by solocanu »

Any additional input on the Mohawk Probe 14 in this comparison? The entry price is favorable ($1250 fitted with a triple saddle) comapred to the Bell ($2000+ with a triple saddle). I may get to side by side a Caption and Nexus soon - my fear is that I will love the Caption and then not be able to locate a nice used one.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I'm looking at Esquif's 14' Vertige X as an alternative to the Caption. Or, if you want to kick it up a notch, their 13' Blast.

The people I know who paddle the Probe 14 love it, including the lap-belt outfitting (I've also seen some XL 15s paddle well). But same with the people who paddle the Nexus. That's the problem getting "objective" advice on canoes -- nobody wants to not like a boat they've recently purchased!

P.
Steward
C Boater

Post by Steward »

I've paddled the Caption and Vertige X. The Vertige is faster and tracks better but doesn't turn as well at the Caption. It has better secondary stability as well, but that said I've been looking for a good Tandem outfitted Caption for a few months and they are hard to find. The Caption just seems more fun to paddle.

I'll likely end up purchasing a Vertige X as they are readily avaliable and a a great boat as well.

Cheers

Steward
vann evans
c

Caption versus Vertige X

Post by vann evans »

We have owned and paddled a Caption since they originally came out. It is a great tandem boat or solo for big people or big water.(We have actually used it for beginners who were too big for other boats) It does have great secondary stability, good turning and good surfiing. We narrowed the width by about 1 1/2" by cutting the thwarts shorter. It is easy to paddle, relatively stable, dry and predictable. The rounded hull initially feels tippy, but quickly becomes stable with experience. It likes to be heeled over in turns.

We recently paddled the Vertige X and found it to be very responsive, surfed great and very predictable. I think it is faster and more nimble than the caption and accelerates quicker. It has better primary stability. I think the caption is drier and turns quicker/better because it is deeper and has more rocker.

Overall, I think the Vertige X is a great boat and would be lots of fun to paddle in almost any situation except loaded heavily with camping gear. The Caption seems deeper and drier. The only Vertige problem might be for lesser experienced paddlers losing their exit angle from eddies or on ferries. The vertige seemed to respond so fast that it could be tricky for beginners or less experienced .

Since the Vertige is readily available, I would not hesitate to recommend it highly.

Vann Evans
montana c-1
Pain Boater

Post by montana c-1 »

Hey solocanu-
I have paddled all three of the boats we have been discussing here the nexus the Vertige x and the caption. I think the Nexus is slow stable and dry. carves well into and out of eddies.
however, I think I will agree with everyone here when they say the Vertige is closest to the caption faster dry and playful. between the two currently produced boats I might recomend the retige x for speed. However I have been paddling a nexus recently and been absolutly loving it as a tandem boat. Never have soloed any of these though, maybe someday. googd luck with your purchase
one blade one LOVE