carpal tunnel S

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nam

carpal tunnel S

Post by nam »

Does anyone have this on their shaft, hand-thunmb?

Mine is giving me pain even though i havent been paddling sinece Nove. I am sure it's from driving and holding the mouse-computer...

what is a good excercise to do? I v've been stretching my thumb backward but it does not help...

May be I need more paddling.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Nam,

If you need more paddling to cure your ills, I'm meeting a friend tomorrow (Thurs Apr 7) at 1pm on the lower Seymour River at the little park behind Maplewood Farm. Just south of Seymour Parkway, accessed from Riverside Drive/Dollarton.

We may just do some "flatwater" at the mouth (at Sea to Sky Kayaks), or we may do a quick little run, I think he only has an hour or so.

Cheers, Pat.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Yep, you need to paddle more, but pay attention to how you do that - no death grip on the paddle. I make a point to relax my grip in each hand at some point in each stroke, even if that is only one finger at a time (like drumming your fingers).

You've got to watch the mouse/keyboard, too - I use a track ball that I think is more ergonomic (logitech trackman) than a traditional mouse. All the same, if I'm not careful, I find my forearm tensing up. Extended periods of time with your fingers "poised" over buttons, track pads, eraser head pointers, etc... can't be good. Awkward seating (i.e. elbows well above the work surface) can add to that tension. I also think being a non-traditional typist helps - your fingers are not repeating the same nearly exact motions as constantly. The non-traditional typist has only a loose grasp on the "home row" and allows his/her fingers to take a variety of paths to the keys. I may sound like I'm joking, but I've been a pretty heavy computer user for the last 22 years and I've been able to dodge the "carpal tunnel" bullet.

I hope Neal can chime in with a more professional opinion.
nam

thanks for your info

Post by nam »

yeah, I think i need more paddling. My girlfriend gave me this baloon with sand in it for me to squeez whle i am driving to release the tension on my thumb. I wonder if the size of the shaft has something to do with it was well. When I paddle the bigger shaft, the thumb is sore. when I paddle the smaller shaft, i relax the grip more at certain point of the stroke, and less paint.

Hey, Pat

the water is high on the capilano. i would love to go paddling but have to study for stupid math exam this weekend. Sunday! By the way, are you planning to any other river soon. i am dying ot get out but I have been sick and school is killing me. I am also dying ot go to the skookumchuk as well.

nam
Otter

Little gyro ball

Post by Otter »

Sport big sport stores sell a little ball / Gyro it is for golfer to strengthen their hands and forarms but it can be used to help prevent carpel tunnel http://www.powerballs.com/ is the web site check it out. I got one for 20 at nicest sporting goods.

Otter
Paddle, Bike, and Board the world.
KNeal (at work)

a suggestion?

Post by KNeal (at work) »

Ugh! My brain must have stayed in bed this morning. I just can't think this issue through about your thumb, Nam, but applying ice over the sore area for 20 min. at a time is one of the best things you can do for the problem.

The wrist and hand is extremely complicated with all the intricate tendons running through the wrist to move every single joint in ALL planes of movement and axis's (axises?) of rotation (college kinesiology class MANY years ago). And then you have that supporting band around the wrist (the retinaculum). And then you have the specific muscles/tendons of the thumb (thenar eminence). All of this regurgitation of human anatomy simply demonstrates to you that I know stuff, but I'm not much help to you :x .

Apply a bag of ice (bag of frozen peas are GREAT and reusable :P ) for 20 min. twice a day (once in the afternoon, once in the evening) to reduce any swelling. Heat before activity can help with the thumb's mobility. You can accomplish this by applying moist heat via a hot, wet towel. You can also rub the thumb/wrist vigorously and go through gentle range-of-motion movements to limber up the thumb/wrist prior to paddling. Aside from that, follow Scott B.'s suggestions about the keyboard and mouse and continue with the sand-filled ball. I may be wrong, but I do not think paddling is the culprit.

Good luck and get better fast. If the thumb/wrist continues to be a problem after 2 weeks of following this free advice, definitely go seek a medical opinion. Keep us updated.

KNeal