Dagger Ovation

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat

Dagger Ovation

Post by yarnellboat »

I have a real old-school OC (OT Otter, 13'10") and am looking to upgrade. But I don't think I paddle/practice enough for an edgy boat like an Ocoee or Viper.

What experiences do people have with the Ovation for a 200lbs, intermediate river-runner?

Thanks, Pat.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Opinion

Post by sbroam »

I know some folks have low opinions of the Ovation (aka theSlowvation), but I think it is a pretty good boat, if not remarkable.

I outfitted one for a local paddle shop and had the chance to get in 3 or 4 river hours over a week or two with the boat. I'm about your weight and found it predictable, comfortable, and responsive. I'm used to edgy boats and found that if I leaned it far enough over (to the "ghost chine") I could carve a snappy turn. When not leaned so far over, it wasn't edgy at all. Maybe it was because I had been paddling short kayak conversions, but I found it to be pretty fast. I even managed to keep it pretty dry while doing 360s in a smallish pourover. The primary stability was nice - one could easily shoot photos from it - and the secondary was plenty adequate. It should make a nice river runner, but certainly no rodeo boat.

Scott
Space Canoe
C Guru

WELL....

Post by Space Canoe »

At least check out the two 12 foot Mohawk Probe boats; I love ‘em and they have a really stable, controllable lean. I think they’re a Frankie Hubbard design.
Don’t know a lot about the Ovation.
Ric Taylor
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Probe....

Post by PAC »

I concur with the spaceman! The Probe (P12, P12II or P11) are excellent all round boats. Not super fast but bang an eddie on demand without wigg'n you out with the hard chine.
Good primary stablity and great secondary stablity!
I used my old P12 as a II-III play boat, a creeker and a big water boat. Handled it all and got me down through stuff when I was clueless! (Which has not changed! :lol: ).
Another paddler I know has been through 5 of them. Hammers them hard on creeks and big stuff (very sik) but always goes back to get a new one. :wink:
See if you can borrow one to test. I think you'll like it - plus the price is reasonable!
My $.01 (cause I'm to poor for more)!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
yarnellboat

thanks for input

Post by yarnellboat »

Sounds reasonable - I've had the Ovation described as "bland" (especially for an 11-footer), but I'm a pretty casual river runner, so that's probably OK.

If I could run out and buy any boat, it would probably be the Probe 12II, or maybe a Nitro or Outrage, but I'm stuck with what's on the used-and-cheap market on the West Coast, and right now that's an Ovation or an H2Pro. Sadly, I did let a nearby Probe 12 get away because at the moment I couldn't afford the not-unreasonable $US 500. :cry:

Thanks, P.