Is it the boat or the paddler?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

Is it the boat or the paddler?

Post by TommyC1 »

So I got comfortable enough in the Slasher to look for a new challange. I'm all inspired by the 'We Designed 'Em" video. I'll only ever be that good in my dreams but that's the direction I'm headed.
I got a Whipit last fall and finaly got the outfitting comfortable. Took it down to Tarrifville today and while I liked it on the easier stuff it pearled more than I thought it would and felt realy squirelly in waves and faster current.
So I'm 5' 10 and 190 lbs and I wonder if I'm too big for this boat or should I just shut up and paddle till I get used to it?

Thanks
Tommy
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

get used to it?

Post by sbroam »

I had a Whiplash that I paddled for 2 years +; I'm 5'10 and was between 210 and 20# when I had it. The main difference between the 'lash and the 'it is volume, I'm not sure how that would affect handling. I found it a bit squirrelly, but lowering the seat helped a lot. I thought it was a great surfing machine and stern squirts were great, not a bad river runner either.

So, give it a chance?

Scott

ps - I'll admit, the newer conversions are wider, therfore more stable.