Montana Wyoming Rivers

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Montana Wyoming Rivers

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I just returned from a family vacation in the Yellowstone/ Teton area. I didn't get a chance to scout many rivers and the ones in the National parks are off limits. I did get a look at the Clarkes Fork of the Yellowstone upstream from the canyon and it looked like a good run. Are there any C-boaters out that way who knows this river as well as any others in the area? The Snake River out of Jackson seems to get alot of traffic and I even heard rumor that there was someone who C-1'd a slolam boat out there.

til next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Joey

Post by Joey »

i would really like to know as well. camille and i are headed that way in a few days. it sounds like an awsome run. the snake near jackson gets some awsome play on it at the right levels. ill post about the runs when we get to them. --- joey
aargh
C Guru

Idaho rivers

Post by aargh »

Just got back from running the Selway. Fabulous but permits are hard to come by. Both are also true of the Middle Fork Salmon. Let me know if you desire further info.

Aargh
DanielHolzman
c

Wyoming boating

Post by DanielHolzman »

I paddled the Snake River south of Jackson a few years ago. Rented a Dagger Encore open canoe from a shop in Jackson, very nice people, they may have had a C-1 for rent, I did not ask. The run is class 3ish at most, a few good play spots, two good surfing waves, depends on level, which is likely to be moderate to low by mid to late July.

Another possible run is Gray's canyon, about 50 miles south of Jackson. This is a class 4ish run, boulder garden drops, very scenic, very popular with the locals. Another possible run is the Gros Vente river, I think the popular stretch starts near the hot springs at the end of the road. I did not paddle this section, but you could see most of it from the road, did not appear to be exceptionally difficult, but needs water.

The Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone is listed as a class 5 plus run, obviously way beyond anything I just listed. I understand that the difficult stretch is the "Box Canyon" section, and the AWA page suggests that right now it is at a very high level for paddling, which suggests extra caution before attempting it. The Clarks Fork does not go through Yellowstone Park, which as previously noted is off limits to legal paddling. I scouted half a dozen rivers in Yellowstone when I was there, the paddling looked awesome, but I understand the season is relatively short, and extreme disgression is definitely required, lest you get arrested, lose your boat, etc.