foot pain

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

nathan

foot pain

Post by nathan »

I have this annoying problem with my feet going to sleep and it turning painful when I paddle. I know for one that I am not as flexible as I used to be so that could be it. I have used ankle blocks and various seat heights to help stop the pain but it doesnt seem to work. I have heard that there is a certain place to put the ankle blocks to help this but I dont know where it is. If anyone can offer any insight that would be great.

Cboater in pain
Randy
C Guru

Search Function

Post by Randy »

You might benefit by using the search function of this forum. I think a fair amount of discussion will be found by searching for postings related to 'dead leg,' for starters.

Three things that came from earlier postings and suggestons from other paddlers that have really helped me:

First, position your feet so that your lower leg and foot are in one straight line, with the foot pointing straight aft or slightly inward. For some time, I paddled with my toes pointing outward, and this created problems.

Second, try paddling with nothing on your legs. If this stops the problem, you can probably stop it permanently by adjusting the fit of your paddling outfit. I cut a large hole out of each leg of my wetsuit, in the area behind my knees. When I wear a drysuit, I put only thin thermal bottoms on underneath it, and watch how the drysuit folds when I get in my boat.

Finally, consider lowering your ankle supports. I started out using blocks that were around 3" tall under my ankles. By cutting them down to under 2" in height, I took some bend out of my knees, and overall I like the position much better.

Good luck and keep us posted.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Additionally...

Post by PAC »

The above are good and I would include (dare I say it) raising your seat. It works for me but then I think I'm the only C1er who likes 8 - 9" high seats (others correct me - if wrong).
When I get into any other boats my knees / ankles hurt. But then when others get in my boats they are not fond of the twitchy feel of my boats.
The added height also gives me more leverage and a better view of what is ahead and the number of fish (I'm upside down a fair bit).
I'd try addjusting the ankle block and adjusting the seat height. Good luck!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Stretch!

Post by KNeal »

Hi, Nathan. In addition to what has already been posted about the outfitting, make it important to STRETCH! :o You stated that you are not as flexible as you used to be, so add some stretching to your everyday routine. A basketball has been a top recommendation to kneel on. As your ankles get more comfortable with the ball height, let some air out so you are kneeling lower to the ground. I kneel on the floor whenever I am instructing a client on a mat or stability ball. I also practice kneeling on a stability ball to practice my dry-land balance (pretty tricky, though :o ). How long should you hold a stretch? Let pain be your guide--when you start to become uncomfortable, stop for a few minutes, then stretch again. Keep it comfortable.

By the way, saddle height is very subjective. PAC loves those tall saddles (so does Mike W. and others). My saddles/thwarts are 6-7" in height and I am VERY comfortable in my boats (e.g. I can stay in the saddle for 3-5 hours). Good luck on increasing your comfort level.

KNeal