Which glue for foam to 'glass?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Which glue for foam to 'glass?

Post by Mike W. »

I got a Viper :D !!! (thanks Dave) Today I ripped out some old foam & made nice, new ankle blocks & foot pads. Which glue should I use to stick 'em in with? Do I need to sand the boat 1st?

Also, this is my 1st glass boat. Yeah, the conspiracy to convert everyone to 'glass just got another one. How should I store it when I'm not paddling it? Are there any tips for taking care of it (other than avoiding rocks & seal launches :o )?

Thanks,
Mike W.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Muhahhahahaha

Post by Sir Adam »

Glad to C another convert :D

First off, sand the boat lightly and use contact cement (flammable kind :evil: -not water soluble :cry: ).

To store it, use slings and hang it, or store it on edge (meaning not the hull or the deck, but the chines).

Glass boats WILL take A LOT of abuse, but I'm not sure I'd recommend a seal launch... :lol: . Just watch out for rocks, and have fun!-oh, and keep it out of the sun when you're not using it. A properly stored boat can last at least 30 years (I have a few that prove that!), but sunlight breaks down glass boats....
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Well...

Post by PAC »

I'm not sure I should help you on this (Scott most likely agrees) you darn quick desicion boat buyer! :)
Anyway per Adam - I agree on the glue. You can use Weldbond (red can) which is relatively inexpensive. It works great once you lightly sand.
Apply a couple coats on both surfaces (boat and item to be attached), let them get tacky and then apply.
Placing "some" presure (light weight) on what your attaching until its dry gives a better and more complete surface bond (in my option).
Of course use gloves, mask, etc. along with good ventalation.
Have fun and bring that boat to the next Aramda so we can all get bummed at what we missed out on! :wink:
CU PAC
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
jKelly-Rand

Post by jKelly-Rand »

Congrats Mike,
I can't wait till the next time we're together on the NB. We'll do stern squirts in tandem. I have begun to get it down now. I'm more sucessful when I don't think about it. So you will be coming from a boat that is quick to do enders to one that you can write a letter to your mother and sign it while it happens. But it will last..

til next
Jim
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

name calling now?

Post by Mike W. »

"you darn quick desicion boat buyer!" Hey, y'all told me that I needed a Viper. Jim let me try his at the Armada & I was sold. So I had to jump all over the 1st one that came up for sale.

I will definately bring it to the next Armada & flaunt it! :P Everyone can try it out then. Jim, we'll find a good eddy in the middle of the river so you can squirt on one side while I squirt on the other. Two long skinny Vipers, vertical & spinning down-stream. That will be neat.

Thanks for the help. The last round of contact cement took a long time to dry. I think it's the humidity, so I quit for the night. I got enough done that I can paddle tomorrow. The flow is down to 25,200 so there still won't be any rapids exposed yet, but there will be good eddylines around the bridge abutments.

Mike W.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

hair dryer

Post by sbroam »

I've used a hair dryer to speed the process before. The stuff is flammable, so there might be safety issues, but I've never had a problem....