Recommend a Good Beginner C-1 Paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

by kendall rountree
I'm just starting out with C-1'ing after kayaking for years, if anyone can recommend a good beginner paddle and let me know which length I should get? How do you measure which length to buy?

Thanks!

kendall.rountree@capitalone.com
Posted on Jul 15, 2002, 9:14 PM

Werner
by Dennis Dennis
I have two Werners that I use. I have and would recommend the Werner Nantahala (straight blade). I also use and am pleased with the Werner Bandit spoon-blade.

I haven't had the Bandit long enough to comment on it's durability, but the Nantahala is an extremely tough as well as lightweight paddle.

I am 5'7" and am using a 54" paddle. A lot of folks, including myself, started with too long a paddle. The shorter paddle is quicker, and gives me more power. On the other hand, the Werners can be cut down without too much trouble if needed.
Posted on Jul 16, 2002, 3:03 PM

paddles..
by Sir Adam
http://www.cboats.net/paddles.html

Half-way down the page describes sizing of paddles....

C-ya!
Sir Adam
Posted on Jul 16, 2002, 3:22 PM

you might try this.....
by Ric Taylor Ric Taylor
Being independently poor, the difference between 30 bucks and 100-200 bucks is money to me, and it can be spent on other paddling gear,so you might think about buying the break apart kayak paddle from Mohawk (I think it's still under 30 bucks), and it's pretty durable, being aluminum and plastic. Then when you find the right length, you make your Mohawk your spare and buy a good first paddle. I think you can ask them to leave one blade unassembled, so that you have a piece of shaft with one blade in it, and then a piece of shaft with nothing in it, and the spare blade in case the first one breaks.
You can buy a canoe handle from them to stick in the other piece of shaft, but I assemble my own because their grip is so tiny. But whatever works. Mine' s a 58 in., and when broken apart it fits in my Medieval. I think they make two blade sizes, so be sure you get the right one. Then you just stick the handle into the shaft and test it. If the shaft is too long, then you pull the handle out and cut the shaft down, and then pound the handle back in (see my post under ?Broken T-grip? 6-7 pages back on June 13, 2002) and try again.
Hope this helps,
Ric
Posted on Jul 17, 2002, 1:45 AM

Also..
by Anonymous
if you're a kayaker, I would learn to switch paddle, and keep both sides active, since you already have competence on both sides. It's a lot more stable and powerful.
Anyway, welcome and good luck,
Ric Taylor
Posted on Jul 17, 2002, 1:57 AM

paddles
by James
The mohawk paddle cannot be beaten by anything in a value for the money competition. that said, I`d recommend an aquabound with the white blade, not too expensive, yes many people have broken them (I`ve broken one and am constantly breaking pieces out of a second one) but really nice blade shape and strength for the money. Alternatively, check out waterstick`s less expensive new C1 paddle, I`ve been using the full carbon version, quite happy with it. The werner bandit is a beautiful paddle, but not strong enough for C1 freestyle.
Posted on Jul 17, 2002, 6:04 AM

Hey, James...
by Ric Taylor Ric Taylor
What’s your take on the in-water recovery ability of the Waterstick? I’ve heard some conflicting views about that. Kalin was kind enough to let me try his for a couple of minutes, and my thought was that it was perhaps a different FEEL, but not necessarily a less functional blade. But what are the thoughts of a full time user? Specifically with the low brace, high brace/scull, and getting the blade to the surface when you roll. Was there any difference between the Waterstick and your former blade (what was it?)?
I agree with you about Mohawks. I just feel that they are the easiest to use to find the proper length if you’re a newbie, and at the end of it you have a decent spare.
Thanks,
Ric Taylor
Posted on Jul 17, 2002, 1:04 PM

waterstick
by James James
There are two different waterstick C1 paddles "floating around" these days, the old version (likely what Kalin had, pretty slow/terrible in water recovery), and the newer version (the only one for sale these days). Newer blade profile is much flater, they have reduced the ribs or whatever they were on the back of the blade. It now is roughly as clean through the water as an aquabound or better (on recovery), my last paddle was a werner bandit which was definitely smoother on recovery than the waterstick, but it just ain't up to serious freestyle use so...

I feel like the guy in the old electric razor commercial, I liked the paddle so much I joined waterstick's ambassador team, so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt. check out the new blades at www.waterstick.com See me on the river (red tekno C1/ wavesport Y C1, often on the Ottawa) and borrow the paddle to try yourself. I like the power I am getting, now to figure out more of those flippy-doodaa moves...

James
Posted on Jul 18, 2002, 6:27 AM