suggestions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

suggestions

Post by sbroam »

suggestions
by jw
I have a viper squirt boat. looking for ways to keep my self from sliding back. When I recover from a stern squirt,roll, I find myself over the back of the saddle. No matter how tight I get my thigh straps. Thanks in advance.
jw
Posted on Jul 18, 2002, 7:43 PM

Questions
by DaveM
1. How high is your seat?
2. How much side to side movement do you have in your legs with thigh braces cinched down tight? Your thigh braces should hold your knees to the bottom of the boat and they should also pull your legs out to the sides of the hull.
3. Do you have hip pads?

DM
Posted on Jul 19, 2002, 5:37 AM

Re: Questions
by jw
Hip pads thats what I need. I will give that a try!! thanks.
jw
Posted on Jul 19, 2002, 6:55 PM

this is easy
by Mike W. Mike W.
I've never paddled a squirt boat, but I had the same problem with my Cascade. I made a taller back-rest which didn't fix the problem of my butt coming up off of the seat, though it did keep me from sliding back. I set up my big ez with the same tall back-rest too. A lap belt would probably help, but I'm scared of those. I like an easy exit on those days when I feel like swimming.
Mike W.
Posted on Jul 19, 2002, 2:01 PM

no no no
by Scott B
It sounds like you are fundamentally incompatible with that boat and you need to sell it to me That is a sweet boat - I've had the pleasure of trying one and hope to add one to the fleet.

Like others have suggested - hip pads can help and a higher seat back. Some folks like to have something to push their toes against, like a short piece of dowel through the wall or a small block of foam.

Scott
Posted on Jul 19, 2002, 8:00 PM

jib with the same problem
by dawn dawn
i did what the other guy did by added a higher part to the saddle in the back - but i slanted it really forward for a little extra umph - only problem - the height ruined my spray skirt and i although the pool was great - a real hole blew the skirt every time = i sold it and now i would like to try my siren - but i need a kayak too for those days when my knees are pissed off
Posted on Jul 21, 2002, 4:11 AM

try this angle..
by Mike W. Mike W.
Cut the back of the new backrest at an angle. Also round off the outside edges.
Mike W.
Posted on Jul 21, 2002, 6:57 AM