Kendo to C-1 conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Kendo to C-1 conversion

Post by Sir Adam »

Kendo to C-1 conversion
by Ron Elliott
I'm interested in coverting my K-1 (Kendo by Eskimo) into a C-1. Having never paddled a C-1 I was wondering if anyone knew if the Kendo would be a good kayak for coverting. As the Kendo was a smaller boat when I kayaked a few years back I'm a little concerned that it might be on the small side for converting to a C-1. Any thoughts?
Posted on Jun 28, 2002, 10:05 PM

nope
by scoot
The kendo is a dog C1 because it is too narrow.
Posted on Jul 1, 2002, 5:45 AM

Any Recommendations
by Ron Elliott
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any recommendations on a older (cheap) kayak that I might convert? A little background: I haven't kayaked regularly for a few years, but I have been occasionally getting out in an open canoe on class II. When I kayaked I'd run class IV. I'm interested in a C-1 because I like the variety in canoe strokes. I'm not looking for a super play machine but something that I can just take on the river along with some gear for overnight trips. I'm getting too old for playing and now with kids I just don't get out enough to remain flexible and keep my skills sharp. I like Eskimo boats because of the lack of pillars, but not being familiar with C-1's maybe pillars are better. Any advice would be appreciated. Also if anyone out there knows of any prospective boats for sale in the Sacramento area let me know. Thx.
Posted on Jul 2, 2002, 8:37 PM

Boat Suggestions
by DaveM
Have you considered an Atom or maybe even a Cascade. Both of these boats will allow you to carry gear and can be fun to paddle. The Atom will be a little more fun in playspots and the Cascade a little better for overnighters.

Both of these (designed as C-1 boats) will have better hull speed than the newer (playboat) kayak conversions.

In addition, both of these boats can be had fairly cheap...Good Luck and let us know what you decide on...DM
Posted on Jul 3, 2002, 6:25 AM

Boat Suggestions
by Sir Adam
Since DaveM negleted to mention these...try some GLASS boat out:). Especially a Viper:), if you can track one down. You'll find a lot of older, stable, big glass boats around cheap that will cruise well, but aren't really "play" boats (other than front / side surfing). Blackwaters, Hahns (ok, they're a little slow), Magnet, etc.... Check them all out at http://www.cboats.net , click on "rec boats".

C-ya!
Sir Adam
Posted on Jul 3, 2002, 8:42 AM

More Questions
by Ron Elliott
Thanks for the advice DM and Sir Adam. I'm leaning toward the Atom, but the glass idea sounds intriguing. I've never worked with glass boats and I don't see a whole lot of time available to be doing repairs, so maybe you could educate me a little on how much abuse a glass boat can take. Will I be putting in garage time everytime I hit a rock? And if repairs are needed how much time and effort would it take to repair? What are the virtues of a glass boat compared to plastic? Also while I'm at it a couple unrelated questions: Could you recommend a book specific to C-1 technique? And, so that I can convince my old kayaking buds that I'm not going crazy, what are the virtues of a C-1 opposed to a kayak?. Thanks again, Ron
Posted on Jul 6, 2002, 12:00 AM
Keep the C!
Adam