ALF 2010- Who's coming????

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Mr.DeadLegs wrote:Anyone heard from Oci-One or Hizzhonour?
Nope... but if I know I'm coming down I'll be certain to encourage their involvement.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Ok, lets say I can make it for some of the days. I'm probably a reasonably solid non-technical II/II+ boater, but I've never seen a real ledge, dealt with the creeky Southern stuff and I'll be an a "new to me" boat. Sure wouldn't mind finding (edging up to) my limits. I accept I'll be swimming. Will there be runs for a goob like me?

Phreon
Denton
c

Post by Denton »

OK, good, sounds like you've got your story together and your coming south to go boating in March.

Good.

Yep, there will be runs for you.

Ya, you'll swim, I'll swim, OK, everyone is gonna be swimming at one time or another...Dooley will back me up on this,Yep, sure will..

but you won't be swimmin anymore than the rest of us.

Denton
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

do it man, DO IT! :D
Joe
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Pheron, come on down. I'll paddle with you.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Going to try to make at least a day or two with my dad!
phreon wrote:Ok, lets say I can make it for some of the days. I'm probably a reasonably solid non-technical II/II+ boater, but I've never seen a real ledge, dealt with the creeky Southern stuff and I'll be an a "new to me" boat. Sure wouldn't mind finding (edging up to) my limits. I accept I'll be swimming. Will there be runs for a goob like me?

Phreon
Same here phreon - I live to swim! ....or is it I swim to live? :lol:

Question though - I don't have a dry top or dry suit, but do have a good wetsuit - will that be enough to brave the waters in March, or do I need to invest in a dry top? Remember, I will be swimming a LOT, so if the dry tops only work well when you stay in the boat, I probably shouldn't invest yet.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Now what would be some of the class II/ III runs so I could look them up. I run mostly class II with some III thrown in here and there and my son just start paddling solo last year. He is pretty much a natural but not much experience. He would be paddling my outrage X and I will be paddling my Caption solo.(this would be first time paddling the caption solo since it is new hopefully I will get out before then)
Joe
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

jroneil wrote:Now what would be some of the class II/ III runs so I could look them up. I run mostly class II with some III thrown in here and there and my son just start paddling solo last year. He is pretty much a natural but not much experience. He would be paddling my outrage X and I will be paddling my Caption solo.(this would be first time paddling the caption solo since it is new hopefully I will get out before then)
Joe
Heres a couple
http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/o ... rCreek.htm
http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/o ... yRiver.htm
http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/w ... SCreek.htm
http://www.riverfacts.com/rivers/13036.html
And, Pick your Poison...
http://www.riverfacts.com/ranges/110_Cu ... tains.html
Last edited by horizongfx on Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Louie

Post by Louie »

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/w ... inpage.htm

Call me for more information, but like I said these guys gang up in the parkin lot and break out into little group with some goin here and some goin there, Very rain dependant but even the good stuff always has some section somewhere that about any one can do.
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I was just rattling the cage and wanted to see what falls out and how you felt about class II/III paddlers coming. I would rather go on a harder river with someone who knows the river than trusting guide book and going on a "easy river" because rivers change with flow and floods
I swam a lot when I began and I stop for a while now I am trying harder stuff and swimming again :lol: I learn a lot when I swim :oops:
Just need to check if my son still wants to go in high school never makes up his mind!
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

You should come, There is no better place to step up your game. You will be with people that know the lines, know the water, and can show you how it is done. As far as II/III trips there will be all kinds of opportunities.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

ALF thread made into a sticky until after the event.
Hopefully attendees will post regular updates and photos for those who can not attend!!!
Enjoy!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
East Coast Canoes
C Guru

Post by East Coast Canoes »

Doug,
When you looking to go down?
We should set up a convoy. Ha ha
Let me know
John
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

East Coast Canoes wrote:Doug,
When you looking to go down?
We should set up a convoy. Ha ha
Let me know
John
Maybe 18 or 19 to 22nd? I have to figure it out The latter part of that week/weekend looks doable. I can get at least 2 canoes on top of my diminutive Pontiac Vibe, probably more. All depends on how slow I wanna claw my way up Jellico Mountain.

Doug
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Dangit, just found out I was wrong about his Spring break schedule - it's the weekend of the 21st. Maybe I can come the first weekend of ALF and stay a couple days. Need to figure out how much vacation I can burn (have to budget it).

Man, life would be easier to plan if I was a hobo,

Phreon