Did the L'Edge kill the Detonator?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Did the L'Edge kill the Detonator?

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Craig Smerda wrote:
CJimPaddle wrote:... insisting that the Royalex manufacturer beef up the lay-up along those structurally weak edges.
RX comes in a sheet form... they don't offer thicker materials in 'part' of the sheet... the entire sheet is one thickness. As Richard stated all the Royalex that every manufacturer uses comes from one source. It doesn't matter if it's a touring boat or a ww-boat.
Surely Uniroyal's patent has run out by this point...
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

other than for making canoes... I don't think it's used for anything else and being realistic here RX does work pretty well for forming canoes.

granted... it's not the 'perfect' material for a ww-canoe grinding down rocks but it's worked pretty dang well for a few decades now to make everything else in the canoe world.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

In ancient times (maybe as a legacy of paddling fiberglass or aluminum), scraping boats over nearly-bare rocks was neither common, nor thought virtuous. We expected a boat to last many years, so we were a bit more conservative as to how we abused it. Boats are actually cheaper now (in real dollars) so some of us treat them as consumables, not investments. As someone with a limited income, that's not going to part of my paradigm any time soon...
Bob P
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

My creekboat is consumable; my glass boats I expect to last me for many years (depsite the fact that all of them are around my own age)... Ironically the glass boats are much more fragile.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Craig Smerda wrote:
CJimPaddle wrote:... insisting that the Royalex manufacturer beef up the lay-up along those structurally weak edges.
RX comes in a sheet form... they don't offer thicker materials in 'part' of the sheet... the entire sheet is one thickness. As Richard stated all the Royalex that every manufacturer uses comes from one source. It doesn't matter if it's a touring boat or a ww-boat.
??? I *know* I've seen marketing materials espousing a canoe manufacturers' "custom" layup, indicating thicker materials in certain parts of the boat (maybe linearly, not laterally, as would probably be easier in a sheet made material). Maybe that is something Uniroyal used to do but Spartech doesn't?
kenseb
c

Post by kenseb »

http://www.wenonah.com/craftsmanship/royalex.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"...painstakingly designed for each model."

http://www.buffalocanoes.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We have extra patches incorporated in the sheet"

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/in ... utrage_rx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"each sheet is designed specifically for the intended use of that canoe."

http://www.roscocanoes.com.au/FAQ%60s/M ... Royalex%20(RX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)-253.aspx

"blablabla"
Last edited by kenseb on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

When a sheet of royalex is designed you can get extra enforcement where you want it. The main substrate is one thickness. What they will put in custom for you is foam and a of extra abs, if you can get their engineers to sign off on it. This takes some $ and a lot of time and head ache. Ecery sheet is made for a certain model in mind. An ODYSSEY 14 sheet want work for any other boat boat an Odyssey. White water sheets are not the same as rec ;boat sheets. at least at Mohawk they are not.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
CJimPaddle
c

Post by CJimPaddle »

My understanding was that the boat manufacturer could order the Royalex with extra layers in certain areas when needed. Is it indeed all the same thickness throughout, regardless?

Ok, if I were to try to beef-up the chines, what materials and techniques would be the most successful? I'm sure a lot of boaters have tried a lot of things, so I would like to tap into your expertise. Any thoughts?
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Wait a minute... Has this turned into another royalex quality thread???
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

It's always going to, l'edge - detonator is an apples and eggs comparison due to the differing materials; so invariably we discuss the materials...

Put another way; Do you think that your runaway success the option would have gone down half as well if it was an RX boat?

youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

You might want to try this link - they seem to be pretty receptive :lol:

http://www.spartech.com/plastics/markets/kayaks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I'm pretty sure that's who canoe companies work with.. In product development you quickly learn that sales people and product managers have very different ideas about what constitutes reasonable customization for a customer. /:|

Shep