Option reflections , not from the Gnar harhar

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Option reflections , not from the Gnar harhar

Post by Wendy »

Dry hair day with FB9 at 879 cfs. I took out the knee pads and placed playboat kneepads. This made a huge difference since I carved the outside of the foam to put the knee farther out having the ridge on the knee pads provided excellent control and so simple instead of adding foam to saddle to wedge knees out. I was able to bring down the boat from an offside near flip with knee control alone after doing a fun rock boof below the last drop of the ledges section- no paddle needed. It felt much better going thru the creekiest part of FB9- Pinball rapid. WHen in creeky sections with water (versus LOwer GReen scraping) it starts going on a good autopilot. This may be what Tony referred to how he likes the boat better as difficulty increases.
There are already 6 people on the list if I wanted to sell it. :D
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

After paddling both the Option and L'Edge I am going to post my final reflection. As much as I enjoy the Option for it's lighter weight and speed, I am going back to the L'Edge for creeking, big water, and especially cold weather boating. With the L'Edge I have several PFD such as the Lower Yough, Russell Fork (Upper/Lower), Little River (Sinks to Elbow, Elkmont) and had a great time, felt comfortable, stayed dry (except for 1 swim). When I think about taking the Option on these runs I would have to be prepared for more swims, not having as much fun boofing, and staying wetter in the boat. I let a young woman who weighs between 110-130 pounds paddle the Option and she looked great. I think that individuals under 180 pounds will have a different experience than myself since they float higher.
Thanks Jeremy for the Blackfly designs and Craig, Jacques, Mark, and Dave for the L'Edge and other Esquif designs. Thank you all for taking risks to better our sport.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Wendy, Your statements reinforce the initial impressions I had of the two boats. You definitely have more time in both boats. I agree with you, we certainly are very lucky to have so many great opt... err, choices in plastic boats! :)

Shep