Duct tape and pool noodles?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Duct tape and pool noodles?

Post by ohioboater »

Anybody know if duct tape would be strong enough to attach some pool noodle or minicel wave blockers under the gunwales (outside, not inside) of a Royalex Wenonah Argosy? I know duct tape is great for flat applications like fixing cracks, but I'm not so sure about resisting wave forces at 90 degrees.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Duct tape and pool noodles?

Post by PAC »

Shawn may the Lords of Duct Tape take pity on your soul!

How dare you question its ability to hold... who are you... just a mere cboater... :lol:

I think duct tape should hold but may need to be re-applied every so often. I've used the stuff to hold in seats, ankle blocks, etc. so if you apply it correctly and enough of it it will hold. I currently used short noodles on my Twister (slalom racer) for wave blockers on the inside edge of the deck plates and mini cell blocks at the ends to keep my rock ramming damage to a min. - held in place with gorilla tape

Question... what exactly are trying to do? Take a cruiser to serious ww? or.....at the risk of bad juju on myself... http://www.sponsonguy.com/ NOTE: PLEASE ADMINS DO NOT BAN ME!!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

I've paddled a lot of whitewater with outfitting that's duct-taped in place. It should be fine.

Whatever you're up to, it sounds like a commendably dam fool idea. Can't wait to see photos. :D
FURZTROCKEN!
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

PAC wrote:Shawn may the Lords of Duct Tape take pity on your soul!

How dare you question its ability to hold... who are you... just a mere cboater... :lol:

I think duct tape should hold but may need to be re-applied every so often. I've used the stuff to hold in seats, ankle blocks, etc. so if you apply it correctly and enough of it it will hold. I currently used short noodles on my Twister (slalom racer) for wave blockers on the inside edge of the deck plates and mini cell blocks at the ends to keep my rock ramming damage to a min. - held in place with gorilla tape

Question... what exactly are trying to do? Take a cruiser to serious ww? or.....at the risk of bad juju on myself... http://www.sponsonguy.com/ NOTE: PLEASE ADMINS DO NOT BAN ME!!!!
Oh no you didn't mention the "S-word"!
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

PAC - take a time out.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Sacrilege!!!!!

BAN HIM, BAN HIM, BAN HIM!!!!!!! :o :o :o

PAC, my hero, what have they done to you? :roll:

Seriously though, if you are concerned about the powers of duct tape you can add a couple of small holes and use cord or zip ties to reinforce the attachment and make them bomber
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

I'd say a careful application of gorilla tape and you're good to go

PAC- you drinkin again? :roll:
Joe
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Actually Joe.... YES! :-) Going Savage this Sat?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

Sorry to say no, i'm stuck workin. Wouldnt mind another shot of tequila, though. :lol:
Joe
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

This is what happens when PAC combines all his meds at one time. :P

He's been given some "wind-down" time. :wink:

I've attached pool noodles to the outside of the gunwales on a Penobscot using Weldwood (in the red can)--now we can talk ADHESIVES!! I split the noodles in half along the length to take advantage of their curved shape to redirect the wave splash. However, they don't do so well when the bow pencils into the bottom of a drop. :-? That application has held up well. That doesn't help you with your duct tape question but it's another option.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Craig Smerda has been rumored to have built an entire boat out of pool noodles...
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

Craig Smerda and the Canoodle!
243260_2017350520769_656719_o (Small).jpg
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

PAC wrote:Question... what exactly are trying to do? Take a cruiser to serious ww?
Not quite. Planning on using it in a combined flatwater/portage/class 1-2 downriver race tomorrow - http://www.ecosportscorridor.com/buck-creek-bash.html. There are a couple of man made play wave/holes on the course and one class 2ish natural rapid that have the potential to force me into a less-than-dry line. If you've ever seen a Wenonah, you'll know that even their "whitewater" boats have super sharp/fine bow entries. Was hoping to make the boat run a bit drier without permanently gluing anything to it...

Maybe I could combine some of those things PAC linked to with one of these: http://www.shaftfloat.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Taping noodles on the Wenonah that should work. Its still going to be wet but it will help. If you can get the extra large ones you can slit them and just overlay the gunwales (still add the blocking and make the edges higher). If someone asks and states its not legal just use the "S" word... they "should" leave you alone then. :wink:

As for the yak shaft thingy....I saw them on the river (once - think on the lower yough) thought it was some sort of Yaker creeker safety air bag thingy that had deployed by error.. and ask if that was so.

At the time I thought it was funny ... the Yakers were not so amused. :roll: Oh well!

PS - good luck on the racing!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Yeah, I've seen those guys, too. Can't remember if it was on the LY or the LG. Though what I remember of their river reading/running skills makes me think it had to be the LY. They would have gotten chundered on the LG, even with Weeble floats on their paddles.