Custom outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Custom outfitting

Post by Mike W. »

Here's how to get your outfitting right the 1st time: http://geomagic.com/en/community/case-s ... -challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Custom outfitting

Post by pblanc »

Those pantyhose with all the point markers are pretty hot.

So how much does it cost to get your hindquarters scanned?
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

We just got a new scanner in for our Orthotics and Prosthetics dept. This gives me ideas that could get me into trouble Mike :D
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

There's a certain irony that its about the run up to the olympic games, but Miss Fox won't be competing in C1 as the IOC and ICF have resisted including a C1W class or even making C1 a unisex class (as it was in domestic competition in the UK and presumably elsewhere until the late 2000's).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

There are manual ways to make contoured outfitting too, using expanding urethane foam inside a plastic bag. It's already being done to form the seats in Formula race cars.
Bob P
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Neat to see the technology used for cboating.

Jim Underwood shared with me how he (and no doubt others) made some of their outfitting back in the 70's - sit in the boat, put a little neoprene foam over your legs (hopefully more than that but he left some details out), then lay up the "machines" (fiberglass "straps" if you will). Stay in boat until they finish kicking off (one reason to NOT use epoxy - poly or vinyl kicking much quicker...).

I suspect a certain UK slalom boater / designer did something similar for his knee cups (which in his Sith worked wonders for him, but for those of us with different shaped legs was very uncomfortable!)
Keep the C!
Adam
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Bob, we use Dynamic Systems Sunmate foam that way in custom wheelchair seating. It was developed for NASA but is used in NASCAR, Formula racing, and other apps like ours. Cool stuff but is open celled foam...but great to sit on! We can do foam carving along the lines of what Mike's link had but it is too stiff for seating. But in thinking about it, I'm sure the carver could carve Minicel foam...Hmmm
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

They don't say what it costs. I'm sure you could mess up a LOT of foam & still come out money ahead.

I heard about those knee cups. I'll just be happy w/ my bulkhead for now.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Cool - we use Geomagic where I work (aerospace) and a very similar scanning system.

Why is the kayaker sitting like a C1'er?
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Jeffrey Ward
C Boater

Post by Jeffrey Ward »

Matt:

The "kayaker" in the pictures is Jessica Fox, who paddles both K1 and C1. The author of the article probably does not know the difference between the two, so the article refers to her as a kayaker and to her boat as a kayak, even though she is in a C1 in the pictures.

Jeff