DC area whitewater

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TNbound
CBoats Addict

DC area whitewater

Post by TNbound »

I'm making a trip down to DC (hyattsville, in specific) in the middle of April and wondering if there is any whitewater really close by, say less than an hours drive. Maybe just a play wave or some easy class III?

Just trying to decide if it is worth it to bring a boat and if it should be a playboat or my Option.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: DC area whitewater

Post by Shep »

Never run anything that way, but I know the Potomac has multiple options: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... /state/MD/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

That is about all I have found as well, at least for very close boating. Looks like I'll be taking my playboat (with new knee straps!) and looking for some locals to follow around.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Anthony,

If you're by yourself with your playboat, put in at Angler's Inn and paddle upriver to the Maryland and Virginia chutes. Both playspots should be in, and you ought to run into paddlers in the parking lot. I haven't been there in a while, but there are reportely parking issues due to construction around the parking lot. Might want to check the Monocacy Canoe Club board for details. (If you post, do so knowing that a subset of people who use that board are mean as heck - I don't know why.)

Little Falls is a great run, if you can find someone else to run with. If the C&O canal is full, you don't need to set shuttle. Little Falls proper is a unique rapid because it is dependent on both river discharge and tide level. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... 20Remember

Mather Gorge is great to see, but shuttles and river access can be tough if you're unfamiliar with the area. http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... ail_id_742 It's a two mile gorge downstream of Great Falls, with a distinct big-water feel - big waves and crazy eddy lines.

Good luck - the Potomac around DC is a really neat place.
FURZTROCKEN!
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

Walsh,

The Maryland and Virginia chutes look like exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for the beta.
I'll also give that message board a browse to see what the access/parking situation looks like, despite the meanies that may lurk there.

I also want to check out Potomac paddles sports while I'm down there. I'm sure some one there will have more useful info.
-Anthony

Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Potomac Paddlesports will definitely have the inside scoop on access at Angler's - they have a gear trailer parked there on a semi-permanent basis for weeknight classes.
FURZTROCKEN!
youngwillyd
C Boater

Post by youngwillyd »

I have paddled with several OC1 paddlers from the Monocacy Canoe Club in the early spring in West Virginia. They were all quite nice. Hopefully you will bump into them instead of any meanies.
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

Re: MCC Board... We are not all that mean -- surely not to newcomers! There a a few posters who like to jerk certain other posters around -- often over "insider stuff" & frequently going back to the hoary past, over comments/encounters in ancient history. The DC boater community is very large and in constant flux due to the transient nature of segments of the younger population in particular: enqueries from reasonably polite outsiders/newbies will elicit a warm welcome.

(Warning -- just don't tell us that East Coast Class V = Western Class 2 ... ;-)...)

icyone (Yes, I do C-1)
C-1's are the Gods of the River
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

Oops -- didn't realize the url had not been posted.

By all means -- check out and post:

http://www.monocacyboard.org/mboard/mboard.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And welcome to God's own chosen river: the "Po"
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

icyone wrote:And welcome to God's own chosen river: the "Po"
You do realize that there is a river in Virginia called the Po, don't you? Just south of Fredricksburg. :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Not Elvis
C Guru

Post by Not Elvis »

I am not a "DC boater," but I paddle on the Shenandoah Staircase near Harpers Ferry and local creeks that might run like Marsh Creek in Gettysburg or Gaither Gorge in Sykesville, MD. I mention this because these are on the fringe of your "hour away" caveat, and are likely to have water, lots of play, and are class II-III (III.5 east coast rating :) ) I spend the spring running these on the weekends and occasional weekday nights and would be willing to lead you down them.

Cellphone 240 three seven five 9 zero 4 zero

J. Robbins
icyone
C Guru

Re: The "Po" and the Po(s)

Post by icyone »

Yes, I know. Hence the quotes: "Po".... a local name of affection.

And as a kid we had to memorize/recite "The Four Rivers of Europe:
The Rhine, the Rhone, the Danube, and the Po..."

Po's are everywhere :-) Maybe not clear from my post tho.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: The "Po" and the Po(s)

Post by KNeal »

icyone wrote:Po's are everywhere :-) Maybe not clear from my post tho.
8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
icyone
C Guru

Post by icyone »

OK, Re-Try:

Yes, there are actually rivers named Po: a Po in VA, and also a Po in Europe, perhaps even more elsewhere that I don't know of.

But (to my knowledge) there is only one Potomac, affectionately known to locals as " The "Po" ", as in "I'm heading to the "Po". "

Just a gentle intro to DC-speak, Truce!