Would you ever...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Have you ever bought a boat sight unseen or unpaddled?

Yes.
90%
Yes, but regretted it.
8%
No.
2%
Would never even consider it!
No votes

Total votes: 48

RobertM
Pain Boater

Re: Would you ever...

Post by RobertM »

Eight boats bought, one tried in advance, no regrets.

Of course, none of them were new. Used boat at a reasonable price, I figure if it doesn't work out I can always sell it. I'd probably be a lot pickier paying new boat prices
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
BobH
C Boater

Post by BobH »

I bought my Option without trying it first knowing if I didn't like it I would have no problem selling it. Due to the fact you aren't on the east coast the demand for Options is even greater so if on the off chance you don't like the boat you might even be able to sell it for a profit.
Personally there is no way I will ever sell my Option. For me it is the perfect boat. I would consider trading it for a blue one though :wink:
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

I bought my Viper 11 without ever having paddled it.

But...

I had been paddling a Probe 12, so there was something quasi-similar in my experience base to compare it with.

And...

I researched long and hard about the Viper 11 before pulling the trigger, so I felt like I was making an educated decision. It turned out to be the right decision, I've had the boat for about a year and I love it.
Chris Loomis
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Thanks for the input so far gang! FWIW I'm 6'2, about 170, and looking for a plastic creeker. Leaning toward an Option, and being originally from NH it's kind of a no brainer. Must say, I'm surprised to hear the number of folks who have bought a boat without paddling it first, given the penchant I've seen so far on this site to "try before you buy". As far as performance, I'm pretty partial to dryness, ease of roll, and durability given my local runs are pretty rocky with few eddies to dump and run. Keep up the chatter, I love to hear what the community has to say!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Cheeks wrote:I bought my Viper 11 without ever having paddled it.

But...

I had been paddling a Probe 12, so there was something quasi-similar in my experience base to compare it with.

And...

I researched long and hard about the Viper 11 before pulling the trigger, so I felt like I was making an educated decision. It turned out to be the right decision, I've had the boat for about a year and I love it.
Similar story here. I did try the Probe11 but decided to buy a Viper11 without testing. Amazing canoe!
Turns out I basically like about every of Franky's designs...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I have bought quite a few boats without paddling them first, but I'd had a chance to look at them - first ME, Viper 12, Maverick, Whiplash, others... I can't think of a boat model that I've purchased that I didn't at least get to see up close.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I think the internet (this site and regional boards in particular) is part of the reason for the change in attitude - years ago you had no choice but to buy before you try... now unless you are getting a new or rare design there is often the opportunity to find someone in your area and check a boat out - overall CBoaters are very friendly people and happy to let you check out their boats. ALF and the Armadas help too.

And if you're not getting a Fink (C1), get the Ion:)
Keep the C!
Adam
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Bob Wiggins »

Yeah, get the option. It'll fit you well and you'll love t. Or you could get an ion- if you aren't doing super steep creeking, it works just fine.
ice-breaker
Pain Boater

Post by ice-breaker »

Bought all three of my current canoes without having paddled any of them:

Evergreen Starburst
Mad River Caption
Esquif L'Edge

Of these three, the L'Edge has been most challenging for me as I had never paddled a short solo ww canoe prior to that purchase.

dave
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

I bought the taureau, the cufly, and the ignitor unpaddled. Taureau was a good buy, cufly bad, ignitor is brand new to me, but I'm thinking good. I took a hit on the cufly when I sold it, but that is unlikely with a more general purpose boat like an option.

Good luck!
Shep
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

I've bought around 10 without paddling first. 2 I didn't like: an HD1 years ago that for me was a swim inducing machine, sold it for what I bought it for; a Daggar Phantom, Louie told me I wouldn't like it and was right. Sold it at a loss to a lady who still paddles it. Of the rest the ones that really stand out as good ideas were an ME, Encore and Option. All three added a new dimensiln to my fun level. Except for the ME I knew people who had one and had either watched or talked to them a lot.
Bill
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'm on the left coast as well and have bought most of my boats untried based on what I read in reviews and just by using my experience in other boats to know what kinds of features I like in a solo canoe--short, narrow, lots of rocker, not-too-hard of a chine, solid secondary, good acceleration. The one thing you won't know until you get in a boat is how it feels in the water and engages water features. That's where demoing is an advantage. I thought what Jeremy said was interesting about his response to boats that don't immediately feel right -- you may need to paddle it more. I generally have enough experience that I can get in a boat and in about 15 minutes figure out whether it meets my general "likes," but it's definitely true that to really know and understand a hull and everything it can do well and do not so well, you need to paddle it for several days--a luxury many of us don't have. Every boat is a learning experience and I've often thought I've found "the boat" only to buy something else and have it become "the boat." While currently I've been happy with the same boat for three years and consequently not interested in buying anything new, I do think if it was easier to try some of the new canoes, there's a chance I could like something even better. I almost sprang for a L'edge, but finally got to try one and was glad I didn't--great boat, but not the right boat for me. Options and Ions look interesting, but, like the L'edge, don't quite meet my basic criteria. Still, I remain curious and who knows what I might take a chance on in the future. This is a great time to be a canoeist with companies like Esquif, Mohawk and Blackfly stepping up and putting out innovative new designs.
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

sight unseen, no. unpaddled yes...
SYOTR
Wiggins
C Guru

Post by Wiggins »

All three of my canoes were bought that way. Worked out well every time.

Kyle
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Most of the time, most of my canoes and C1s.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;