Drysuit Seam Tape

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Paddler
Pain Boater

Drysuit Seam Tape

Post by Paddler »

So my Drysuit has turned the corner from full-on-drysuit to My-butt-is-wet-at-the-end-of-the-day. The biggest thing I've noticed is some of the seam tape is starting to peel back, so my question is; what sort of adhesives should I use to reapply the existing tape? Should I remove the entire strip of tape and start with new tape? Where can I buy just the seam tape, and what process is required for reapplication?

I searched the forum and found one thread that addressed this but I wasn't sure what heat tape, bostik 2024, or standard tape was and how to aquire them. I did the Google thing and it wasn't very helpful.

any help would be great.
The line will become apparent
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Re: Drysuit Seam Tape

Post by Cheeks »

adhesives? WELDWOOD RED CAN!!!!! er, what was the question?

I'm sure someone will come along with the right answer, but something to consider if your suit is Kokatat or IR, you can send it to them and they'll fix you up for a nominal cost. If the damage is from Gore-Tex delamination, you generally get a new suit.
Chris Loomis
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Post by ohioboater »

Same thing is happening to my NRS suit. When I called NRS, they recommended two options:

1. Using good old Aquaseal to seal/re-adhere the spots where the tape is failing.

2. Sending the suit to Rainy Pass (http://www.rainypass.com/) in Seattle for professional re-taping of the bad spots. I called them, and it is $35 to get the suit pressure tested, plus whatever labor time at $60 per hour on top of that to repair the failing spots. Turn around was 4 weeks, which was too long for my needs, so I'm going to just try the Aqua Seal approach.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Aqua Seal works. McNett Seam Grip would probably also work.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Aquaseal works great for all of my dry suit and float bag repairs. I recommend thinning the Aquaseal with Toluene so that the repair stays flexible.

Hint: After opening a tube of Aquaseal make sure that you store it in a freezer.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

Aqua Seal gets expensive ... i should know i have a drysuit (semi dry) with no seam tape left in the suit .... someday ill be able to afford a new suit
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

I've found Marine Goop is basically the same thing as Aqua Seal for much less $$$
JD
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Peeling seam tape should be a warranty issue. I sent a goretec parka back to Marmot that was having that problem and they replaced nearly all the seam tape for free. The coat is back to being full rainproof.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

my drysuit wishes it was under warrentee ... unfortunately it was made in 1992
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

you can buy drysuit seam tape online and it can be applied with either heat or glue. sorry i forgot what it is called specifically or where i have bought it in the past.
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

So I found the seamtape, it's made by McNett. Seattle Fabrics sells it by the yard, it sounds like a good price but I have nothing to compare it to.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mcnett.htm#Melco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Iron On Seam Tape
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

Paddler wrote:So I found the seamtape, it's made by McNett. Seattle Fabrics sells it by the yard, it sounds like a good price but I have nothing to compare it to.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mcnett.htm#Melco" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Iron On Seam Tape
I'm not sure thats the same stuff. I think Melco is more of a fabric reinforcing tape like you would use on the seams of a wetsuit or sprayskirt.

-Bob
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Waterproof breathable seam tape is very difficult to apply well DIY... Glueing results in stiff seams surrounded by non-breathable areas; but without a dedicated tool, applying the correct amount of heat to the tape (and moreover not applying it anywhere else) is awkward at best and potentially disasterous if you cock it up and apply too much heat.
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

Thanks for the info Silentbob and theKrikkitwars
Bill M
C Guru

Post by Bill M »

Agree w/ Kricket. Applying tape correctly takes skill. Need the right amount of heat to be concentrated on the tape only and the tapeto be near perfect on the seam for it to work.
Bill