Big Dog Force OC1 shells roll off the production line (long)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I believe that the holes are to make it an "open" canoe in lieu of lacing an airbag cage.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
avlclimber
C Guru

Post by avlclimber »

I don't know enough about Kayaks to recognize the "front" and the "back" of this Kanoe. Is the logo-end the front or back?

From the photos it is not clear if there is a difference in rocker, hull profile, etc., but the splash guard seems less pronounced on the non-logo end. I wonder if this end still deflects the water well?

A shot of the underneath would also be interesting. I'd like to see the chines and get some width measurements. I like the holes. they're fun, functional, and removable. A little kayak ingenuity for our old-school build-it-out-of-string mentality.

The whole affair looks beginner friendly for those who want to jump in a boat with out wearing it. A lower "cost-of-entry" for would-be canoeists.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

logo on the back... generally... or is that 01 General Lee ? :lol:

how easy is it to get airbags in and out or to inflate/deflate them? that was one of my major peeves with the Taureau.

let's see some side profile showing the rocker and some of the bottom of the hull pics Bob...
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
riverrat406
c

Post by riverrat406 »

Gavin didn't even know the boats had been pulled off the molds when i spoke with him a few days ago. Is he going to be up to speed on this boat?
xmas0c1c1k1
CBoats Addict

Post by xmas0c1c1k1 »

I emailed mark cumnock at waldens ridge this is what he said:
"Funny you should ask all of that...

I Skype'd with them last night

They're supposed to be giving me detailed specs next week and stock photos

We won't post 'in stock" until we have them in our hand. They are outfitting them as we speak.

On the page you can click on "get notifications"

click on it, and you will get emails giving you updates , and that way you can jump on it.

I'm VERY excited about the boat. "

I think they are coming but we need to be a bit patient. I need time to gather some cash any ways :lol:
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

I don't know enough about Kayaks to recognize the "front" and the "back" of this Kanoe. Is the logo-end the front or back?

logo is on the back

From the photos it is not clear if there is a difference in rocker, hull profile, etc., but the splash guard seems less pronounced on the non-logo end. I wonder if this end still deflects the water well?

differential rocker yes , the stren is lower then the bow. also teh shape of the rails changes front to back.

A shot of the underneath would also be interesting. I'd like to see the chines and get some width measurements.
i hope i can do this somewhere this week.

I like the holes. they're fun, functional, and removable. A little kayak ingenuity for our old-school build-it-out-of-string mentality.

The whole affair looks beginner friendly for those who want to jump in a boat with out wearing it. A lower "cost-of-entry" for would-be canoeists.
I guess so if the boys are ready with their outfitting.

I paddled it a few meters on flat yesterday. It felt good. I hope to get some gluing done tomorrow and get some rolling done in a couple of days hopefully on dutchwaterdreams somewhere next week.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.
Lennart
Pain Boater

Post by Lennart »

pictures needs a bit of time meassuring was simple
de tip of the bow is a 35 cm from the ground. the stern at 25 cm.
Propper Writing in English, how do you do that, with dyslexia, bad hand eye coordination, ect. and in a foreign language
sorry fore all the mistakes.
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

Ok, I've been off here for a bit because I've been too busy enjoying some Scottish boating. Cheers to Lennart and some of the other guys for answering some questions on here.

For those of you who wanted to see some hull and side profile pics I've now added a couple of fairly low quality rushed efforts to the album

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054299602 ... ceOC1Shell

Hope that's what you're after.

So the holes, the holes. Firstly they are in lieu of lacing...if you feel like the traditional string they're easy to change. Secondly good point from Craig, as that aspect really got on my nerves in the Taurea too. Having used the Force all weekend I think they allow enough airbag access so as not to cause annoyance, which is good as I can be a bad tempered boy.

I've now spent quite a bit of time in the production Force. It's a lot of fun and a big improvement that the prototype. I had the chance to paddle it on some higher volume runs and creeks. I messed about with my pre-production foam outfitting and hangovers for the first couple of days but once those issues were resolved things really really started coming good. The production boat is a lot more forgiving. The little bit of extra volume in the ends combined with the extra width really made life easy. The production boat resurfaces quickly and predictably after a bigger drop. You'll love boofing in this baby too. It's a lot better surfing than the prototype. Overall I'm very very pleased and I'm looking forward to getting the Force out there for you all. I also can't wait for the production outfitting! I'm a very happy boater right now......

I'm trying to get some action shots for you guys to look at but being Scotland it was so wet and miserable up there that the cameras didn't come out much. I'll see what I can dig out.

When I get the chance I'll get the necessary measurements done.

I'll keep you guys updated. If you have any questions you know where I am. If it takes a while to reply I'm not being rude, I'm just working some stupid shifts for the next week or so.
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Bob... what did the final production specs (length, width, depth, weight, etc.) end up being?

Looks good in red and I love the scratches. :P

Was the hull derived from a kayak initially and how was it changed or altered if so? What is the depth on the sidewall before the tumblehome starts moving inward?

Another new boat = cool. :D
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
bob mckee
C Boater

Post by bob mckee »

Sorry for the lack of updates recently but my day job has been keeping me busy. It's interfering with my fun......

Anyway I managed to quickly run the tape measure around the boat the other day. These specs were taken by myself in the middle of the night without any help so they are probably not the most accurate....but it gives you an idea.....

Length 8' 2" 249cm
Width (widest point) 29" 72cm
Depth 17 (and a bit)" 44cm
Weight - I don't know yet.....not heavy. We had to do some walking to get to some Scottish creeks. It certainly didn't kill me. Until we get the production outfitting I can't really give you an answer anyway.

Craig, I should have known you would start asking all the technical questions!! I think the tumblehome measurement you are after is 8 (and a bit)" or 21cm. Yes, the hull was derived from the Force kayak initially. It has been both widened and lengthened from the original kayak hull. Quite significantly. I can't remember if the rails were altered slightly also.....it was a long time ago. Obviously the deck is completely different.

I've managed to find one reasonably usable action shot which I added to the album

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054299602 ... ceOC1Shell

The outfitting is coming along nicely and shouldn't be too far off now. I'll keep you all updated.

Was out again yesterday on some nice Welsh boulder garden type runs. Was very nice. Everyday I'm enjoying it more and more. I will stop to try to get some pictures next time.......promise.
Cumnock
Proprietor - Walden's Ridge Whitewater

Post by Cumnock »

Here is what we are telling people to do .

We have a email notification feature now on our product pages.

The button is on the right and looks like this.

I promise you you won't get spammed.

Once you sign up you will know when we have they in stock.

Here is the page .

http://waldensridgewhitewater.com/store ... cts_id=521