How does boat size change ideal paddle length?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I think that mike has addressed most of the "what kind of boat is that" and where did the design come from questions. Mike has been great to send me the forms and help me through this process. I have never built a boat, layed glass or most of the other things that were required to pull this off. I worked late into the night for 5 weeks ( I was out of town for one of them so I guess 4 weeks). I have no clue when it comes to hull design or any of the other more technical aspects of the design but as someone coming from a 15' nova craft prospector, I am loving it.

Sorry I was off of the board this afternoon, was in Ohiopyle trying to learn to paddle my new boat. We drilled all day and survived the Yough Loop run quite nicely. I can not really comment too much in the performance attributes mainly due to my lack of anything to draw comparisons to.

I am on an iPhone right now and can provide more details later if there is intrest when I have a real keyboard, maybe in a new thread as this one has strayed a bit :-)

Again, a HUGE thank you to Mike for helping me and sharing his design, it is quite brilliant.

Aaron
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

arhdc wrote:...I have never built a boat, layed glass or most of the other things that were required to pull this off. I worked late into the night for 5 weeks ( I was out of town for one of them so I guess 4 weeks)...
Looking at the photos I was impressed with the boat. Now I'm impressed with you. Well done!
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: Stink eye

Post by philcanoe »

Mikey B wrote:Dave and Josh...the Stink eye is my design. It started out as more or less as something I could play around in the East Race WW course but have a more traditional canoe look. I was paddling a Taureau, which I happened to be one of the guys who got to like that boat, but had always wanted a Spanishfly. Craig hadn't yet come out with the L'Edge...which I wanted but knew I wouldn't be able to afford for quite awhile...so he inspired me to trying to design my own. The Taureau I always felt was just a bit to narrow for me, the SpanishFly is one of the best designs ever...so I was inspired by them, but basically drew up what I thought might be a decent boat. I added fullness in the ends, drew the rocker profile basically as what looked good to me, made the side profile on the original Stinky sort of slab sided like the Outrage just because I thought it looked nice. IT turned out to make it a bit harder to roll in aerated water so I relieved it in Aaron's boat and soon to be Al's boat. I really liked my Shaman, which had more rocker in the stern which I liked some of the performance attributes of that so I added more rocker in the stern. When I tried it out on flatwater, it kind of felt better with it the other way around. But one run down the East Race and I switched it around to more rocker in the stern.
SO in essence, I just drew up what I thought looked nice...transferred it to paper, and just lucked out that it turned out pretty ok. Oh, and the bottom isn't as flat as it appears...slight arch in it. But it does surf quite nicely.

I've already had somebody else want to build one. I'm not sure what the ramifications of letting people build my design or what steps to take for credit. I guess if somebody is crazy enough to try and build one I would send them station forms tracings and tips on some of the hard spots...$10 for time to copy and mail them?
If nothing else it might inspire more folks to getting the L'Edge or Option.

Mike
yes ...and I thought this at least equally impressive
    ^~^~^ different strokes ~ for different folks ^~^~^