Litte OC1 creeking video

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Paolo
Pain Boater

Litte OC1 creeking video

Post by Paolo »

I really enjoy my prelude, even if it has not a great primary stability it manages very well in our tecnical creeks.
Here is a little video (2.4 Mb) of last week end if you like it.
http://www.playboatingitalia.com/video/alabassoopen.rm
Paolo Santoné

www.playboatingitalia.com
the italian playboating portal
James
C Guru

Post by James »

nice runs!

You`ve fried some C1 creekboats, do you prefer the prelude (oc1)? The primary stability does look pretty limited! How does it compare to the converted creekboats you have used?
Paolo
Pain Boater

Post by Paolo »

The Prelude has not a great primary stability, at just 69 cm (27") round hull width would be difficult, but it has a lot of secondary stability and a lot of rocker, so it manage really well in tecnicall and steep creeks.
The problems comes out when the boat it's full of water, in this situation the primary stability is better, but it comes, of course, heavy and more difficult to turn. But I've just a limited experience in open boat, I must learn a lot more...

Converted C1 creeker, of course are easier, but you need to find the right boat. I just haven't find the perfect one yet... The rainbow Zulu (like a little Y) was pretty god, but it has some lack in primary stability and the bow is a little too low... The problem with the new creek kayak is that they have a round hull, that's more difficult in C1...
The Nomad is a great creeker as kayak and maybe it can work pretty nice as C1 too.
I would like to try a converted LifeStyler (from Bliss-Stick) wich has a wide flat hull, and I'm really courious about the Drakkar Fatboy.
Paolo Santoné

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Hey Paolo,

Very nice runs 8) 8) !!

Yes, the Prelude has little primary stability, but I really LOVE the great secondary one.

As far as dryness of the boat is concerned, I think in whitewater as continuous and with drops as shown, it is impossible to keep the boat completely dry, you will always take on a little water at all the time.
There are 2 options i.m.o, either fill the boat with as much foam as possible without interfering with safe exiting, or install a bilge pump.
I think a bilge pump would work well, as by watching the video I got the impression that you don't get a lot of water in at a time, so if you install a bilge pump with something like 1250 GPH flow rate (~4700 l/h or ~78 l/min) it should be easily able to keep the amount of water in your boat to an absolut minimum.
I have one of those in my Prelude, and it emopties out a totally full boat in less than a minute.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
James
C Guru

Post by James »

I used to creek in a skeeter, and I hear where you are coming from. I found in the open boat, and now in a c1 creekboat as well, if the run is going bad I am rolling or having to make very tight lines. Having water on board, and having time to have the pump work wouldn't do it in some situations. But I guess that is part of the challenge of OC1 creeking. If for example Paolo missed one of those eddies, better have a turbo button on that bilge pump!
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Paolo,
If you're looking for the perfect creeking c-1 conversion----the H3-255 gets my vote 8)
Larry
aldenb

boatin

Post by aldenb »

hey, i thought I found the perfect creek boat . . .
necky . . . blunt . . .
Alden
I'll have to try that H3.
tim

Post by tim »

Finki, Finki,Finki 8)
Jan_dettmer
CBoats Addict

Post by Jan_dettmer »

...I have to agree with Alden. Wanna try a H3 though.
The Blunt is way up there, for sure :-)

I think the Blunt is stable enough. Also pretty responsive. I think it is a very good C1 creeker. Great that there is so much choice now.

Embudo, Finki, Blunt, H3 seem to be all pretty good.

On the river, Jan
Is there something like an expert kayaker?
http://www.bc-ww.com
Paolo
Pain Boater

Post by Paolo »

I agree with James, is better I learn to keep the boat dry, and maybe add some foam in it. Plus the Prelude is enough heavy yet, even without a bilge pump and a battery...
For the creeking C1 I will find a good one, maybe H3 or Blunt or Nomad or... but I already have 10 boats.... so is better I take it easy....
Paolo Santoné

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Paolo,

I agree that keeping the boat dry is the best solution 8) , however on some runs you will take on water no matter what :-? .
My pump setup, including automatic switch , battery and wiring weighs less than 3 lbs, I don't notice any difference the way the boat paddles whether it is in or not, until I take on water. Then I do 8) !
About the weight, don't forget the weight of the foam, too. If you fully foam out the cockpit you are most likely gonna add as much, if not more weight than with a pump setup.
Another thing you could do to keep your boat drier is to extend your bow deck and add a V shaped foam dam to shed the water avay from the cockpit. Helps keeping the boat dry when front sufing and also when punching holes.

As far as creeking C1 are concerned, try the Finkenmeister!

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Paolo
Pain Boater

Post by Paolo »

Thanks Martin, I will consider your suggestion. :D
Paolo Santoné

Craig

Post by Craig »

believe it or not sometimes a little h20 in the OC can help you actually punch some very burly holes... really. this does not help with making tight eddies though.

Craig Smerda
paolo s

Post by paolo s »

Yes Craig, I completely agree. :D
Paolo