wet suit

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

scott curtis
C Guru

wet suit

Post by scott curtis »

anybody got any good ideas where to get one
? farmer john type.. short sleeve, long bottom..~
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Shorts dodo. Or you can cut the feet out of those waders you got and turn them into splash pants. Wetsuit, pfft..
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Wet suits are fine if you don't flip. Save up & get a drysuit. Get breathable w/ relief zipper & breathable booties.

Till then check dive shops for a used wet suit. Either get a shorty or cut out the backs of the knees.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

read your post and looked to the left to see this ad on Cboats.

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com

I'll sometimes use wetsuit pants under a pair of shorts. Works for me.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I sometimes mate Patagonia wet suit shorts to my Stohlquist drytop. There is just a little leakage, mostly up the legs.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Dive shop is probably the best bet. They will have a large selection and should have a good number of used suits for a good price. I have a drysuit and a wetsuit. Drysuit in the winter, wetsuit in the spring or summer on a very cold river (Nantahala). I have thought of cutting the backs of the knees out on mine, but haven't done it yet.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
scott curtis
C Guru

Post by scott curtis »

ordered one.. backs out of knees .. hmm .. comfort i guess.. yo swimmie, i squish you
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Backs out of the knees is for comfort. It ain't pretty & most folks will laugh at you. You'll be a little colder back there when you're out of the boat too.
hankrankin
C Guru

wetsuits

Post by hankrankin »

i have three different wetsuit options i use (diving and surf suits) a short sleeved thinner 2-3mm, long sleeve thick 7mm and a longsleeve top. I have never had a problem with the backs of the knees being a comfort issue, even on my thickest suit 7mm. i dont have money for a drysuit so i layer with my wetsuit and splash gear and im fine. Granted i live in the southeast so the water doesnt get too terribly cold, im moving to NY in june and assuming i stick around the wetsuits arent gonna cut it anymore. I found my favorite westsuit in a tj max in Maine for 50 bucks, its a top entry shortsleeve billabong surf suit, i couldnt pass on a 50 dollar wetsuit and its served me just as good for boating as it has for surfing.
hankrankin
C Guru

why you shouldnt cut out knees.

Post by hankrankin »

By the way, you shouldnt cut out the knees, because wetsuits work by trapping water inside the suit while your body heat warms the water. Cutting out the knees would allow the water to drain out of the suit before it had time to warm up against your body, so dont cut the knees!
kslund
Pain Boater

Post by kslund »

Here in Colorado I sometimes wear a 3mm NRS farmer john in the summer, when it's too hot for a drysuit but the water is still coooooollld - usually in early July after the main runoff is over.

I cut the back of the knees out on mine. With the knees intact, the bunched up neoprene would cause my feet to fall asleep in 5 minutes. By cutting the knees out my feet and lower legs actually stay warmer longer because of increased blood flow. To each their own, but I'll be cutting the knees out of mine as long as I am using it for canoeing.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: why you shouldnt cut out knees.

Post by Todhunter »

hankrankin wrote:By the way, you shouldnt cut out the knees, because wetsuits work by trapping water inside the suit while your body heat warms the water. Cutting out the knees would allow the water to drain out of the suit before it had time to warm up against your body, so dont cut the knees!
You could always sew some 2mm neoprene back in the spot you cut out...
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles